Blood Born - chapter 11

Start from the beginning

"Never mind. I just need to go for a ride. There are entirely too many people around here," I grumbled, walking into the small barn.

Our horses pawed at the ground, anxious to be free of the constraints. I stroked my Friesian's neck, soothing her. "I know. I feel trapped everywhere as well."

I led her from the stall and brushed out her fur.

"Princess Evelyn? Please allow us to do that for you." A man attempted to grab the brush from my hands.

"No. Thank you. I can brush out my own horse, thanks."

"But, Madame."

"Please. Allow me to do something for myself. Everyone does everything for me. I enjoy taking care of my horse."

"Very well, Madame. If you need anything we will be in the back."

"Thank you," I called as the man and boy walked away from us.

"Evelyn? What's wrong? You seem very anxious today."

"I'm fine, Charlene. I just need some time alone, well, with you. Just away from other people."

I grabbed my saddle and placed it on Guinevere's back. I finished strapping and hooking everything while Charlene continued to stand there.

"Are you coming?" I asked.

"No. I wish to remain here. You need to clear your mind, Evelyn. Get your mind together and come back ready to interact with others and be a proper princess. Remember this is supposed to be peacekeeping progress. You are to keep the peace between Scotland and England. You need to be here and talking with others."

"Yes. I know. If James looks for me tell him I'll be back shortly."

I nudged Guinevere into a gallop and held on as she ran down the long drive and into the town below the castle. People stopped to stare as we ran straight through. At the edge of town, I pulled the horse to a stop and turned, looking up at the magnificent castle.

That's going to be my home. This is going to be my country.

My chest grew heavy and it became difficult to breathe. I struggled with things from my parents pushing me into marriage, constantly watched by everyone, attempting to get some privacy, and now being a dragon rider. There was no way it would be able to stay a secret. Someone would find out. When I turned to continue along the road, we came face to face with a team of brown steeds pulling a beautiful black coach.

"Whoa there. Princess Evelyn?"

"Andrew." My heart sunk to the pit of my stomach.

It was the English royal carriage.

"What are you doing down here?" my mother hollered. "Without an escort?"

"Mother. Why are you here?"

"James invited us for the king's birthday festivities."

"Of course he did."

Captain Blackstone appeared from behind the carriage on his large, black horse.

"Why is he here?"

"I fought with the king in many battles. I've come to pay my respects to him on such a joyous day."

"Turn Guinevere around immediately."

"Mother! I've been fine here."

"For now. What if the Guild finds you and you're alone?"

I sighed heavily. I wasn't prepared to fight them. At least not alone. I turned Guinevere around and walked back through town toward the castle.