Chapter 17

Anirudh's pov ,

It was about 8 , when i reached home.

"Anirudh, you came!" , my mother exclaimed while coming out of the kitchen with a glass of water.

"Here ", she handed over the glass to me and said ," go and freshen up and come , i have made your favourite food ", she said with a gentle smile but her eyes were filled with expectation.

Expectation?
What was she expecting?

Shrugging off my thoughts , i entered my room , without even giving her a nod or smile . I could sense her disappointed face behind my back , as i didn't respond to her talks for the umpteenth time.

After freshening up , i entered the dinning hall and i found my mother setting the dinning table.

As soon as , she saw me , she made me sit there and started serving the food while trying to start a conversation with me.

"Mmm.. anirudh ? How was your day "? , She asked.

"Good ", i said while putting a morsel into my mouth.

"Won't you ask me ,how my day was ?" , She questioned expectantly .

"Mmm...how was...", I started but cut off and changed the topic ,"where are kavin and sonali ?", i asked her back thus breaking her expectations.

Again her face was laced with disappointment.

Why are doing this to yourself ma?
I don't want to hurt you or disappoint you but i am not able to prevent me from doing that as well.

What can I do?

She plastered a smile on her face and replied , " Kavin has night shift today and sonali has went out with her friends , she would come ......."

"What ? Sona hasn't returned home yet? How can you be so careless ma , it's gonna be 9 already ", i yelled at her without even giving her a chance to talk.

"B..beta , i just now..."

"Mumma , i came" , sonali said in her chirpy voice making our mother to pause .

Seeing my serious face she asked , "what happened dada ?"

"Is this the time to come home ?" , I asked her back.

"Dada , i went out with my friends so...."

"So ? What? Your semesters are nearing sonali and don't you know that this is not the right time to go out with your friends." , I asked

"Only this man knows how to connect everything to studies, khadoos dada" , she muttered under her breath.

"What did you say ? ", I asked her raising my voice.

"N..nothing dada , nothing", she said trying to sound sweet. "Actually today is mother's day na , so i went to buy a beautiful gift to our favourite shubra ma , so that only i got late , she said while taking out a gold sheet wrapped box from one of her shopping bags and handed over it ma".

"Happy mother's day ma" , she said and hugged her , whereas my mother's gaze was fixed on me expecting that i would atleast wish her now.

Now i get what she was expecting from me , a mere wish

Should I wish her?
Will I be able to wish her ?

"Ma , do you know who selected this gift for you ", sonali asked breaking both of our thoughts.

She faked a smile , while shaking her head in sideways indicating a 'no'

"It is Boudi !!!" , She exclaimed , making us confusedly utter " boudi? " , in unison.