Lost Child

Kane POV

I chug down my fifth bottle recalling the end of my military journey. I slam the bottle down sighing.

Kane: "Fucking bastards."

I go for another sip but notice the bottle's empty.

Kane: "Ay barkeep, another bottle."

A voice draws near.

Man: "Hey you."

Kane: "Buzz off."

Man: "You're part of that group that took the job in the mountain."

Kane: "You've got me mistaken for someone else."

Man: "Nah it's you. You're kind of power ain't welcomed here."

Kane: "Look I'm already having a shitty day. So do me a favor and piss off."

Man: "Asshole!"

He reaches for me. I grab his wrist and turn around. I then aim my other hand sending out a stream of fire. It grazes his cheek causing him to scream in pain. When I lower my hand I spot the right side of his beard scorched off. His legs buckle in fear making him drop to his knees.

Man: "Demon, you're a demon!!!"

Kane: "That hurt. I think I'll kill you now."

I ignite my hand. But before I can kill him the owner stops me.

Owner: "That's enough. He's drunk so he doesn't know any better. Just let him go."

I stare at the man and scoff. I then toss him onto the floor walking out of the bar. I spend the remainder of the night just walking before passing out. After a few hours I open my eyes and groan seeing the bright sun.

Kane: "Fucking sun."

I get up making my back crack. After a shake my stiffness goes away. My stomach then growls loudly.

Kane: "Suppose I should get something to eat."

Dragging my feet forward I head to the nearest restaurant. But when I come to the town center I feel a presence. 

Kane: "This presence, it's very faint. Must be weak. It's also small, a child's."

I narrow my eyes searching for the location of the presence. I look down clenching my fist. 

Kane: "Underground. Great."

I heat up my feet. They burn away the cobblestone driving me downwards. Through a couple more layers I land in the sewers. 

Kane: "It's like a maze down here."

I rely on my presence sense to lead the way. Only a couple feet in do I encounter some resistance. 

Man: "What're you doing down here?"

Kane: "Someone's sick down here."

Man2: "He's after the merfolk! Stop him!"

They all rush at me.

Kane: "Minefield."

They're all blasted by a sphere of fire. With them down I continue to fight my way to this sick person. Eventually I come to a cell. Heading inside I see a blue haired girl laying on her side. She faintly opens her eyes looking at me.

Girl: "Pa... pa?"

Kane: "Nope."

I carry her bridal style out towards the surface. I stop at a water mill where I lay her down to rest.

Kane: "I wonder how long you were down there. Probably long enough to starve."

*timeskip presented by Kane gathering things to eat*

I enter the water mill to see the girl wide awake. I also notice her hair soaking wet.

Kane: "Why's your hair wet?"

Girl: "I took a bath."

She becomes slightly scared.

Girl: "I hope that was okay."

Kane: "It's fine. Baths are necessary. Let's just dry your hair."

I aim my hand at her hair. I then crank up the heat but not enough to emit fire. She sighs smiling.

Girl: "So warm."

She giggles while I remain stoic. Once her hair's dry and I made her new clothes I give her the food I bought.

Kane: "So, why were you in that cell?"

Girl: "I got separated from my mother. The people who had me were planning on selling me."

Kane: "So you're a slave?"

Girl: "Yes."

I slightly sigh.

Girl: "What're you gonna do?"

Kane: "Probably hand you over to the city guard. I hear they specialize in lost children."

Her eyes go wide.

Girl: "No!"

She then runs to me hugging my waist.

Kane: "Hey come on."

Girl: "Don't do this! I wanna stay with you!"

Kane: "Look kid."

Myu: "My name's Myu."

Kane: "Ok, Myu. I'm not the kinda guy who's responsible enough to look after a child. I tried once and it ended very badly. So for your safety I'm taking you to the city guard."

I grab her hand and lead her while she begs and pleads for me to stop. After several long minutes we arrive at our destination. I hand Myu over.

Kane: "Take good care of her."

Guard: "We will."

I turn around when Myu shouts.

Myu: "No, please don't leave!!"

I fight the sadness inching into my heart.

Kane: "It's for the best kid."

I begin walking away.

Myu: "Please Papa!!!"