"what if"

"It's a beautiful day", the curly-haired girl said as she sat in the yard with Taehyun sitting in front of her, both of them sipping their coffees slowly while chatting.

   The brunette glanced up from his coffee and smiled when she saw the girl look at her.

   She wore a simple white tee that reached her mid thigh, and a pair of dark blue sweatpants with her hair neatly curled and pulled behind her head.

   "Yeah, it is", Taehyun replied and looked up at the blue clear sky that seemed to be made for two people to hang out under the shade of a tree, "It will rain later though. That's what the weather forecast says"

   The girl nodded before taking another sip of her coffee, "I know..."

   A few moments of silence passed between them as they continued drinking their beverages silently, enjoying the warm air on their skin and watching the clouds pass by. The sun was shining brightly and there were some birds flying around in the distance. It was peaceful outside, Taehyun thought. He couldn't help but feel something every time he spent time outside in nature, which was contentment. He didn't have any plans today, so Taehyun figured it would be the perfect time to talk about something, or rather someone.

   "So...," Lydia started as she gave the blonde a curious gaze, causing him to look up at her as well, "Where's Beomgyu?"

   Taehyun stiffened at the mention of Beomgyu's name but he tried not to let it reflect on his face too much. Instead, he simply shrugged casually and took a sip of his drink. The girl stared at him sceptically but decided not to push the subject any further. She just knew something was going on with her friend and she didn't want to pry into it.

   "He and Yeonjun are probably still sleeping", Taehyun said blankly, his face muscles contorting from his emotional pain, "They were watching movies till very late yesterday"

   Lydia could notice some pain in his tone of voice and expression but chose not to point it out. Instead, she merely sighed and took a large gulp of her coffee, reaching for Taehyun's hand to give it a gentle squeeze as a sign of support. Taehyun immediately looked at her with his pair of deep blue eyes. They were the exact colour of the clear sky that hovered over their bodies but had some clouds that covered them. His features relaxed at the gesture and a small smile appeared on his lips as he squeezed back Lydia's hand gently, grateful that this one girl in his life cared for him like this.

   "He's acting like an asshole again, isn't he?", Lydia asked directly and Taehyun's eyes drifted back to his black coffee as he nodded softly.

   "He can be kinda annoying sometimes", Taehyun agreed, looking back at her, "He seems really happy with my brother, but I know deep down he's not happy at all. He just likes pretending and hurting me just because he thinks we can no longer be together...", Taehyun trailed off, his eyebrows furrowing as he began to think hard, "I guess he's too weak for the kind of relationship we used to have. He's scared or his love towards me isn't just enough because he can't leave everything behind to start a new life with me"

   Lydia was silent while looking at Taehyun, thinking deeply over what he had said. Then, she let go of his hands, rolling her eyes, "That sounds pretty shitty", Lydia muttered quietly, while crossing her arms against her chest, "I think that he started a relationship with you just because he was feeling lonely... Now he has friends and everyone he can spend time with, so he doesn't feel lonely anymore"

   The younger sighed loudly and rubbed his face with his free hand before turning his attention back to the coffee in his cup, "... Yeah, I guess, but it just...", he lowered his gaze, staring down at the ground beneath his feet, "It hurts..."