𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁

[unedited]

the two birthdays

the two birthdays

"Molly!" The redhead stopped as she got to the diner steps, Izzy running down the street with an card in her hands. "You didn't tell me you were having a birthday party at your grandparents." Izzy said, handing the card over to Molly as her brows furrowed with confusion.

"On the morning of— perfect granddaughters, Lorelai and Molly Gilmore— what the fuck? I thought it was just dinner." Molly muttered, folding the paper and handing it back to Izzy. "Where'd you get that?" Molly asked, looking into the diner to see her mother at the counter with two dress bags in her hands.

"It was in my mailbox when I got home." Izzy answered, stuffing the letter into her pocket as they walked inside. "Black tie means I have to dress fancy right? Cause the only thing I have is my Quinceanera dress and I think that's a bit too much." Izzy stated, taking a seat at a table while Molly stared at her mother.

"Just a regular dress will do." Molly mumbled, walking up to her mother.

"What'd I do?" Lorelai asked, then her eyes went to the door as it opened again. "Oh no, you both look pissed.. what'd Emily do?" The woman asked her daughters, moving from her seat at the counter to the table Izzy sat at.

"What are the dresses for mom?" Molly asked, having a slight idea as to why she was carrying them.

Lorelai smiled, unzipping the bags and pulling out a clump of tool, "these are your party dresses." She exclaimed, stuffing them back into the bag as Molly scrunched her face in disgust. "Listen to this, so I'm shopping with your grandmother today and its a whole three hours of 'who are you buying that for mom, have you met the girls?' And then finally, I talked and she listened and she wound up getting you both something I think you'll really like." Lorelai said happily, her teeth showing with her bright smile.

"Really?" Rory asked, Molly was still focused on the ugliness of the dresses and the thought of an elegant birthday party.

"Really! And of course she insisted on buying the dresses but I think I can do something to them to make them better." Lorelai told them, Molly nodded slightly, staring at the bags.

"Wow, I've never seen you so cheery after spending time with grandma." Rory stated, glancing to Molly with curiosity as to what Emily had done to make their mother not want to rip her head off.

"Well, it's been a long time since we've actually spent time together and didn't end of fighting.. it's been refreshing." Lorelai explained, "it wasn't exactly fun but I didn't get that shooting pain in my eye like I usually do."

"That's great." Rory smiled, but Molly could tell something had been bothering her sister as well.

Luke walked over with coffee, setting the cups onto the table, "so I hear you're having a party Saturday night." Luke said, a small smile sent to the twins.