The salvation#2 (Jake's POV)

Jake's POV (In the meantime, Gilbert's basement)

The only thing I felt was a strong tug, and then I heard that fucking sound of the basement door being unlocked again. I think I'll remember that cursed sound of entering the code and acceptance until the end of my life.

I have to admit they weren't lenient with me during today's interrogation. Honestly? I have no idea how on earth I'm still alive. Gilbert's gorillas even had to hold me up during our walk to the basement because I couldn't stand on my own feet. My journey from the interrogation room to the basement door was like a fucking Via Dolorosa.

Finally, the door opened wide, and they pushed me forward again with a brutal tug. I was sure I would fall down those fucking stairs, but luckily Dalton grabbed me from the front, and I fell into his arms.

Dalton: Leave it to me - He grinned at the persecutors behind my back.

The only thing I heard was a mocking chuckle behind my back and the sound of the doors closing and locking.

Dalton: Jesus, man... - He sighed and helped me safely walk down the stairs - Are they fucking crazy? What the fuck they did to you?

Jake: Th... - I coughed up blood slightly again as I walked down the last step - Thanks.

Dalton: You're really cursed, man - He chuckled slightly and helped me sit on the floor - How the hell are you still alive? Are the devils afraid of you so much in hell that they give you some extra survival power?

The only thing I could do was laugh lightly and cough again in pain.

Dalton: And still smiles with those snow-white teeth... - He shook his head as he tied my hands behind my back - I don't know if it's out of your helplessness or your madness.

Jake: Motivation... - I coughed again and wiped my bloody lips on my shirt - You know how expensive the dentist is now?

After tying my hands behind my back, Dalton put a few painkillers in my mouth and approached a bottle of water closer to my lips. My mouth, which is as dry as the Sahara, immediately began to fight eagerly for every, even the smallest sip of water, and my empty stomach quickly absorbed and dissolved the pills.

In moments like this, I'm glad I'm being starved because it makes the pills work faster and stronger. So after a few minutes, I didn't feel anything. Well... I didn't feel anything until I heard the sound of the unlocked door and high heels on the stairs again. That sound instantly gave me a headache.

Emma: Please, leave us alone - She turned to Dalton.

Dalton: Behave - He pointed at me and pretended to be firm - Don't make me finish my colleagues' work.

I feigned my humility and nervously nodded my head when Dalton discreetly winked at me and left the basement. However, I noticed that he didn't close the door completely, he left it slightly ajar. This made me smile slightly because it means he really will be guarding me if Emma tries to get close to me again.

Emma: Jake, sweetheart - She immediately ran towards me - Oh Jesus, you look horrible - She knelt beside me and began to examine my face and bloodied clothes.

Jake: You don't like me anymore? - I looked at her sadly and again had an internal struggle not to burst out laughing.

Emma: What? No, of course I still like you, but... - She accidentally touched the bloodstain on my shirt and a grimace of disgust immediately appeared on her face - Maybe you should finally consider working with them - She wiped her finger on my shirt and smiled at me, struggling with that comic grimace.