chapter fortyfive

THE WAITING GAME
———————————

THE WAITING GAME———————————

———————————

PETER P TOOK OUT HIS BROKEN PHONE AND DIALED A NUMBER RORY DIDN'T THINK HE'D CALL.
"Ladies and gentlemen, the Bugle tip line has just revived a call from none other than the fugitive known as Spider-man, fresh from his rampage in Queens. So, Peter Parker, what pernicious propaganda are you peddling?" Jameson's voice thundered from the phone.
"Just the truth." Peter P answered sincerely.
"Oh, sure." The aggravating journalist scoffed.
"The truth is...that this is all my fault." The boy glanced at the phone. Rory sent him a thumbs up, signaling that his call was in fact being played all over New York.
"I accidentally brought all those dangerous people here." Peter P sighed.
"Well, he admits it!" Jameson held his hands up.
"And if those people are watching...just know that we really did try to help you. I mean, I could have killed you." The youngest Parker held the magic box up in a nonchalant move, although everyone preparing for a battle knew it was deliberate. "At any given moment. But I didn't. Cause my Aunt May taught me that everyone deserves a second chance...And that's why I'm here." The boy continued smoothly.
"And where is 'here' exactly?" Jameson pried. Peter stepped over, positioning the phone so the people could see the bronze statue.
"A place that represents second chances." Peter answered confidently.
"The statue of Liberty? Good God, folks. He's about to destroy another national landmark." Jameson yelled out in shock, albeit, very dramatically.
"World, if you're watching..." Peter looked back down at the screen in this hands.
"Believe me, the world is watching." Jameson cut in.
"...Wish me luck. You're friendly neighborhood Spider-man could use some." He finalized. Before he could end the call, however, Rory jumped up behind him.
"Hey! Jameson!" She pointed at the phone. "Learn to not interrupt people, damn. Okay, bye!" She waved before Pete yanked her back. Peter P laughed and clicked the phone off.

Jumping to the top of the grand statue, Peter P spoke into the ear piece they wore.
"Okay guys, it could be any minute now." He looked around.
"Yep, almost done." P Parker connected a cure in webs where it would be easily found. Once they finished, all three Peters waited around near Rory.
"You know, Max was like...the sweetest guy ever." Pete stretched while looking out over the city.
"Until he turned into electricity and played 'The Ittsy Bitsy Spider' with your body." Rory teased. Pete scoffed and rolled his eyes.
"That's what happens when you fall into a pool of electric eels." The Parker man shrugged.
"That'll do it." P Parker chuckled. He then groaned and twisted around. "Mm...oh, there it goes." He muttered. He turned and pushed his back against a railing from the construction work. Rory furrowed her eyebrows and shared a glance with Pete.
"You okay?" The middle Parker chuckled.
"Oh, it's my back. It's kinda...stuff from all the swinging, I guess." The eldest of the three complained.
"Oh, yeah. No, I got a middle back thing too." Pete grimace sympathetically.
"Really?" P Parker grunted as he struggled.
"Yeah...You want me to crack it?" Pete offered. P Parker thought for a moment before standing up again.
"Yeah...Yeah, that'd be great." He nodded.
"Alright." Pete walked over, crossing his arms over his chest in example. P Parker mimicked him and Pete stood behind him.
"Okay, you ready?" Pete asked rhetorically, wrapping his arms around the man. Pete then lifted him up and jumped, the satisfying pop of a bone cracking ring out.
"Yup...that's good." Pete set him down and held his arms out proudly. "How is it?"
"Wow." P Parker rolled his shoulders. "That's good. That's better."
"Right? Yeah." Pete smiled brightly.
"God, you two are adorable!" Rory laughed. The men turned to her with a raised eyebrow. "Oh, sorry. Did I....did I ruin the moment?"
Pete walked to where she leaned against the railing and nudged her arm with his.
"No need to tease. If your jealous, just say so." The Parker man snickered.
"Ugh, I don't miss you anymore." Rory held her hand up to his face. He pushed her away lightly and squatted down.
"God, this is so cool. I always wanted brothers." Pete gushed. "So, you, like, make your own web fluid in your body?"
"I'd rather not talk about this." P Parker stifled a chuckle.
"No, I don't mean to-" Pete waved his hands frantically.
"What, are you teasing me?" The older man joked.
"No, no, no. No, no, he's not teasing you. It's just that...we can't do that so naturally we're curious as to how your web situation works, that's all." Peter P jumped in to the rescue. All three Peters looked to Rory for help.
"Hey man, don't look at me. I'm just here to steal my man back." Rory held her hands in surrender before nudging Pete with her hip.
"I mean, if it's personal I don't wanna pry, but I think that's cool." Pete ignored the Morais woman's remark and grabbed the pole behind her to steady himself.
"No, I-I wish I could tell you but it's, like, I don't do it. Like I don't...like I don't do breathing. Like, breathing just happens." P Parker waved his hands around as he spoke, Rory picked up it was something all of them had in common.
"Whoa." Pete mumbled.
"Does it just come out of your wrist, or...does it come out of anywhere else?" Peter P asked awkwardly. Pete tilted his head and Rory snorted.
"Only...only the wrists." The eldest laughed.
"You ever had a web block? Cause I run out of webs all the time." Pete explained while P Parker had a moment of recognition.
"I mean, I have to make my own...in a lab." Pete went on.
"Well, I have to make them in a lab." Rory jumped in again.
"Either way it's a hassle compared to what you got." Pete glanced up at a smirking Rory.
"Sounds like a hassle, yeah. But I did, actually. You said that, and I was like, 'Oh, I had a web block'." P Parker explained.
"Whoa. Why?" Pete pushed.
"Existential crisis stuff." P Parker waved his hands around his head and shrugged.
"Pssh, yeah I mean...don't get me started on that stuff." Pete agreeded.
"Hey, what are like, some of the craziest villains that you guys have fought?" Peter P questioned with genuine interest.
"Seems you've met some of them." P Parker snickered.
"Heh, that's a good question." Pete glanced at Rory who shrugged.
"Yeah, I fought a, uh, and alien made out of black goo once." The eldest recounted. Pete looked back over in shock.
"Oh, no way. I fought and alien too. On earth and in space." Peter P chuckled.
"In space? You've been to space?" Rory leaned over to look at the boy.
"Yeah, he was purple." Peter P shrugged.
"I wanna fight an alien." Pete sighed.
"I'm still, like, that you fought an alien in space." P Parker back tracked.
"Whoa, we fought a russian guy in a rhinoceros machine." Rory shrugged.
"Yeah, I'm lame compared to you guys. Although it was scary to meet Rory's dad for the first time." Pete laughed when the woman in question kicked him.
"Can we rewind it back to the 'I'm lame' part? Cause you are not." P Parker told him seriously.
"No, thanks. I appreciate that. I'm not saying I'm-" Pete tried again.
"It's just the self talk. Maybe we should..." P Parker trailed off.
"Listen, I-"
"Cause you're amazing. Just to take it in for a minute."
"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I can take it in."
"You-You are amazing."
"I can take it. Thank you."
"Will you say it?"
"No, I kinda needed to hear that, thank you." Pete nodded quickly.
"Yeah, I mean come on, you think someone as cool as me would like anyone lame?" Rory squatted down next to him. Pete looked at her with a cheeky smile. "You are The Amazing Spider-man." She whispered before placing a soft peck on his lips.
"Okay, guys. Focus up. You feel that?" Peter P spoke up again, standing from his position on the statue.
"Yeah." P Parker looked around and Pete assisted Rory up.
"Ror, please do back to Mj and Ned." Pete told her.
"No, I'm going to fight." Rory shook his hands off her shoulders.
"This is the same thing that happened before. Please, just go." Pete explained sadly. Rory didn't need any more information to know he spoke of Gwen. She sighed and cupped his face in her hands.
"I'm not going anywhere. We fight together, just like always." She told him before taking a step back and closing her eyes.
She said her incantation before calling to her old friend Hephaestus, god of weapons making and blacksmiths in Olympus.
"Dear Rory, we meet again. Take my ability, make the motion of the weapon you want, and it shall appear." He told her once more. The sky broke apart and bright, blinding light crashed down around her. Peter P and P Parker stared in awe as Rory felt the power rush through her veins. Hephaestus must have known this was going to be a big fight, as he gave her much more power than he had before. Rory groaned and fell to her knees. When Pete tried to wake her from her zoned out state, she held her hand out for him to stop.
As soon as the light faded Rory began breathing heavily. Pete kneeled next to her and grabbed her cheek.
"Rory? Rory what happened?" He asked frantically. The woman's eyes snapped open and her usual chocolate brown was replaced by a blazing gold.
"It's time." She told him, taking his hand and allowing him to pull her up. She's never felt this strong in her life, and she was excited to get the chance to use it.

a/n: bruh, i stayed up till like 3 reading fanfics i need help. anyway, hope you enjoy, new chapter will be up tomorrow