chapter seven

A LAB RAT
———————

A LAB RAT———————

———————

AFTER DROPPING LUIS AT HOME, RORY QUICKLY RAN TO THE OSCORP BUILDING. Right outside the doors, was Peter, waiting patiently for the girl.
"I'm so sorry, there was a situation with my brother." Rory said as she ran up to the boy, her breaths coming rapidly.
"It's okay. Did you get the situation fixed?" Peter smiled, holding the door open.
"Oh, yeah. It wasn't too difficult. Just a bunch of rude children." Rory waved him off.

"We have protein structure, rDNA, chromatography, transgenics testing, that X-ray video. That's the only one on the planet. We have, uhm, human line testing over there-" Connors explained everything as they walked through the labs.
"I remember that." Peter cut him off, pointing to a very ugly looking machine. "I've seen that before."
"The Ganali Device." Connors informed them as they walked over.
"Yeah, I remember a picture of that in my dads office." Peter said.
"The idea was simple. Load it with an antigen, it creates a cloud which can be dispersed over a neighborhood, even an entire city. Theoretically, you could cure polio on an afternoon." Connors explained. Peter and Rory stepped closer.
"Incredible." Peter mumbled.
"Incredibly dangerous." Rory corrected.
"Yes, many agree. Like, what if the device were loaded with a toxin?" The scientist questioned rhetorically. "What if you wanted to opt out? You can't run away from a cloud after all, so here it lies. Gathering dust."

"What you see here is a computer model of a lizard." Connors said as he clicked some buttons on a hologram. "Now, many of these wonderful creatures have so brilliantly adapted so that they can regenerate entire limbs at will." The hologram showed the lizard without a tail, and then a process of it growing another one.
"You can imagine my envy." Connors joked. "We're trying to harness this capability and transfer it into our host subject," The hologram then moved to a mouse with a missing leg.
"Freddy, the three legged mouse."
"Enter the algorithm now." An automated male voice rang out. Peter's phone rang abruptly.
As he was messing with the hologram, he dug his phone out of his pocket.
"Do you need to take that?" Connors asked sympathetically. Peter shook his head and declined the call. Rory tried to catch his gaze, but he was very adamant as too not look at her.
"System ready for gene insertion." Another automated voice, this one a woman's, sounded.
"Okay," Peter walked towards Rory, holding onto a hologram. "Check." He stated.
"I see what your trying to do." Rory smiled.
"Preempt the proteins?" Connors cut in.
"The immune response." Rory confirmed for her friend.
"Beginning trials. Pending... Pending... Failed. Subject deceased." The woman's robotic voice sounded. Rory sighed as the hologram mouse keeled over.

"Come on, come on, come on," Peter cheered it on quietly.
"Pending... Pending... Failed. Subject deceased." The compute said again.
Over and over and over again, their calculations failed and the poor little hologram mouse keeled over again and again.