chapter four

A LESSON FROM THE BEST
—————————

A LESSON FROM THE BEST—————————

—————————

AS THE DOORBELL RANG, RORY GOT A SENSE THIS WAS A STUPID IDEA. Turning to Peter, she was about to speak her mind when the door opened.
"Dr. Connors." Peter greeted. "Uh, your don't remember us, we uh-"
"The inters from the other day." Connors cut the boy off.
"Yeah, yeah. That's right, yeah." Peter mumbled as he nodded his head. Rory just stood there.
"I'm sure you're nice kids, but this is a home." Connors said as he went to close the door. "You'll have to make an appointment with my office."
"I'm Richard Parker's son." Peter spoke up quickly. "And she's Gina Morais' daughter."
Connors walked back towards the two teens with furrowed eyebrows. "Peter? And that must mean you're Rory?"

Pouring the two kids and himself some tea, he didn't look at the as he spoke.
"I'm afraid I can't help you much, kids." He said. "I don't know why they left or where they where going." He said to Peter. "And I don't know what went wrong or why it happened."
Connors moved the kettle and in the process knocked one of the mugs down. Rory flexed her fingers and it stopped midair, Peter was quick to snatch it up like nothing happened. Connors looked at the two baffled.
"Good reflexes." Connors complemented.
"Thank you." Peter handed the almost fallen mug to his friend before he grabbed the other two, holding one out of the scientist.
"I read your book." Rory spoke up, the silence too loud for her.
"Oh?" Connors mumbled in question, silently asking if it was good.
"Yeah, I really enjoyed it." The girl smiled taking a sip of her tea. "You really think it's possible? Cross species genetics?"
"Of course. But for years Richard and I were mocked for our theories, then your mother too when she leaned out it. And not just in the community at large, but at Oscorp as well. They called us 'mad scientist'." Connors then turned to Peter again. "Then, your father bread the spiders, and everything changed. The results were beyond encouraging. They were spectacular." The man basked in the silence for a moment before continuing. "We we're going to change the lives of millions. Including my own." He motioned to his stump of an arm. "Then it was over. They... they were gone. Richard took his research with him and Gina, well. And I knew without them I... I... I was angry. So I stayed away from you and your families, and for that I'm truly sorry."
Peter hesitated before he spoke, Rory didn't know why, but she could tell he wasn't telling the full truth.
"Say... say you got it to work." The Parker boy started. "Like, how much would the foreign species take over? What could the side effects be?"
"Yeah, would it be able to make someone do things, no one would ever imagine?" Rory piped in with her own 'hypothetical'.
"It's hard to say, considering no subjects survived." Connors informed them. "The problem was always-"
"The decay rate algorithm?" Rory and Peter spoke at the same time. A smile grew on Connors' face.
"Right." He confirmed.
"Right," Peter moved around the bar and saw a notepad and pencil. "Can I, uh..?"
"Of course." Connors nodded as Rory rounded the bar and stood behind Peter.
Writing an equation down quickly, he slid the pad to Connors. However before the older man could look at it, Rory snatched it and the pencil Peter and set down. Erasing a small part of it, she rewrote it.
"This is wrong. It's should be... this." Then she too set the pencil down and slid the pad towards the blond.
"Extraordinary. How did you two come up with this?" He glanced at the teens. Rory shrugged and Peter hit his temple lightly with the eraser of the pencil.
"How would you feel about coming to see me at the tower one day after school? Both of you." Connors asked quickly glancing from the Parker boy to the Morais girl.
"Yeah." Peter said instantly. Rory nodded with a growing smile.
"Thank you." Connors took the pad and examined it closer.
Rory caught Peter's gaze and smiled, he returned it, a pink shade creeping up his face. Gods, this was an interesting day.

i know i know, short chapter sue me. the other one will be out in like 5 minutes lol hope you enjoy :)