chapter eighteen

GRADUATION SURPRISE
——————————

GRADUATION SURPRISE——————————

——————————

SHE JUST ASKED HIM FOR ONE THING, TO BE ON TIME TO GRADUATION. However, of course he couldn't do just that.
Gwen was to have her speech soon and Rory was to pass out the diplomas. She had hoped he would be there for her at the least.
"Damnit. Where is he?" Rory glanced around only to find the open seat where Peter sound be.
"I'll call him, again." Gwen pulled her phone out and rang the number.
"Hey, I'm...I'm sorry, I'm running a bit late." His muffled voice came from the other end of the phone. Rory leaned closer to Gwen to hear better.
"Igor stuck in some traffic." Peter lied horribly.
"Your timing is terrible, it started already." Gwen sighed.
"I know I'm sorry." He repeated.
"Rory is freaking out. Where are you?" Gwen smirked at her brunette friend.
"1st and Broadway, 2nd and Broadway, 3rd and Broadway." Peter listed. "Uh, 5 minutes. 10 tops. Is she really worried?"
"Are those sirens?" Gwen disregarded his question for the sake of the Morais girl
"No." The Parker boy said too quickly.
"Peter." Gwen sighed.
"Nope." Peter repeated.
"Peter." Gwen said more sternly.
"No sirens. No-" He cut himself off.
"Peter, what's happening?" Gwen grew worried. Rory may be in love with him - don't tell her Gwen said that - but he was the Stacy girls best friend.
"Peter?" Gwen said into the phone quietly. "Peter? Peter. Hello?"
"And now Id like to introduce and extraordinary young woman." Principal Conway stated and turned to the blonde on the phone.
"Peter!" Gwen harshly whispered.
"I'll be there. I promise, Ror."
"This years valedictorian," The principal continued. "Please welcome, Gwen Stacy."
The young woman put her phone down by her stuff and stood.
"What happened?" Rory grabbed her arm gently.
"Promised he'd be here. Then hung up." Gwen shrugged. She walked towards the stage quickly as the crowd of students and parents cheered.

Gwen walked gracefully up and shook hands with the principal who sat down as she got to the podium.
"Good morning, esteemed faculty and families of my fellow graduates. It's an honor to be standing up here today..." She said calmly. "I know we all feel like we're immortal, we're supposed to feel that way. We're graduating. But like out brief four yeats in high school, what makes life valuable is that it doesn't last forever. What makes it precious is that it ends and I know that now more than ever. And I saw it, today of all days to remind us that time is luck. So don't waist it loving someone else's life. Make yours count for something. fight for what matters to you no matter what. Cause even if we fall short, what better way is there to live?"

-

After Gwen's beautiful speech, the crowd cheered.
Rory, actually, stood on her chair and yelled, "That's my friend right there! You did it Gwen!" and the people around her laughed.

Finally, it was time for Rory to hand out diplomas. Her times to shine. As she walked to the stage, she saw Luis jumping up and down to get her attention. She smiled brightly and waved to him.