chapter thirty

AND SO IT BEGINS
——————————

AND SO IT BEGINS——————————

——————————

RORY HAD A MESSAGE FROM GWEN, AND WHEN SHE PLAYED IT, SHE ALMOST CRIED.
"Hey, Ror, It's Gwen. I, uh, I got into Oxford! Woo-Whoo!" Her voice came from the phone, it echoed as Rory and Peter walked out of a tunnel. Gwen laughed. "It's very exciting. I came by your house a little bit ago, Peter's too, and I, uh, you both weren't there and so I'm on...on my way to the airport right now, because there's this summer class that I found out about and I thought that it would somehow be easier, I guess, this way." Rory stopped walking, tears threatening to fall. "I think that maybe it's time to let each other go, at least for now. And it's not because I don't love you both, it's because I do. You two are my closest friends, and I'd love to be able to catch up in a few months, but for now I think we should just, cut...contact. Okay, that sounded rash, but, I hope you know what I'm trying to say. I want us to be friends, but right now we both don't know what we are gonna do for the rest of our lives and, I'd like to figure my future out." Gwen's voice broke. "I live you, Rory. You're the best sister I could have gotten. And Peter, I know you're with her, you are by far my favorite brother, but I need to figure myself out. So, uhm, okay...bye." The message cut off. Peter was quick to yank his suit from his bag, Rory following suit. They both didn't want to lose Gwen, not like this. They understood what she was saying, but they needed her comforting presence when they couldn't talk to each other. And so, they changed quickly to set off to find their blonde best friend.

-

Gwen sat in a taxi, stuck in traffic as she was headed to the airport. People around them got out of their cars and the sound of a crowd grew louder and louder.
"It's Spider-man and Lady Hecate!" The drive smiled. Gwen leaned forward and chuckled.
"Stop the cab." She said absentmindedly. The driver scoffed.
"Lady, I ain't even movin!" He shrugged. Gwen ignored him and climbed out of the cab. She followed a ground of people who had gathered at the edge of the bridge. Looking over, Williamsburg Bridge was covered in webs. The spelled out the words Gwen would never be able to get out of her head.
"You're the best sister -P + R"
Gwen smiled brightly and laughed. She saw a figure atop the bridge waving, but before she could wave back, Peter swooped over and grabbed her, taking her to the figure. As they got closer, she was able to put the pieces together to realize it was Rory.
When Peter and Gwen got to her, Rory engulfed them into a hug.
"Hey, hi guys." Gwen patted and she looked around at the view.
Rory smiled brightly. "Did you get out message?"
"What...what message?" Gwen pulled away from them.
"The one over there." Peter motioned to the webs littering the bridge.
"Oh, that. That was you two?" Gwen laughed.
"Hey, don't be like that." Rory scoffed.
"I couldn't make it out." Gwen joked.
"Well, I'll tell you what it says, it says you're the best sister." Peter laughed. Gwen pulled the two back into a hug.
"Cause you're the best." Rory smiled. "Oh, and, you're wrong."
"About what?" She glanced between the two.
"About us having to cut contact. I know I wouldn't last a day without you." Rory told her without hesitation, they both turned to Peter.
"I could probably last a week." He shrugged nonchalantly. Both girls scoffed and rolled their eyes, they all knew that was a lie.
Gwen was about to retort, then something popped and all the power in the city began to shut down.
"What the hell?" Rory muttered.
"What is that?" Peter added. Gwen looked over their shoulders. The power grids made my Oscorp popped and they all shut down.
"Max." Rory sighed. "He's back."
"He must have cut power to the whole city." Gwen glanced at the Morais girl. They watched from the top of the bridge as the lights around them blinked out. Chaos was sure to ensue.
"There's gotta be some sort of black out plane, right?" Peter grabbed ahold of Rory's waist, ready to jump into action. Gwen noticed and smirked.
"Some kind of back up." Rory nodded, placing her arm on Peter's shoulder.
"There's an emergency reset at the power plant." Gwen informed them. "If he cuts the transmission lines, they're never gonna get this back up."
"How am I gonna stop him?" Peter mumbled.
"Uh, how are we gonna stop him?" Rory shoved his shoulder lightly.
"No you're not going, every time I get close to him my web shooter fry. You almost died last time." Peter grabbed her shoulders and held her out.
"Have you tried grounding them?" Gwen asked.
"Yeah, I tried everything. Rubber, plastic..." Peter began to list.
"Did you try magnetizing them?" Rory offered.
"I...didn't try magnetizing them." Peter smiled at his fellow vigilante.
"Okay, remember the conversation from earlier? You wouldn't last an hour without us." Rory pointed between the two girls. Peter laughed. They started at each other with a smile, almost forgetting Gwen was there.
"God, just kiss already and put me down on the ground." Gwen glanced down to the impending doom. Peter and Rory glanced at her before back at each other and smiled slightly.
"How are you gonna get both of us down?" Rory asked Peter. He thought for a second before coming up with something.

There was an officer speaking over a megaphone, he tried to calm the screaming pedestrians when Spider-man swung down, Gwen Stacy on his side and Lady Hecate clinging to his back for dear life.
"I'm never doing that again, I feel like I'm gonna barf." Rory jumped down immediately. They rushed to the man.
"Officer!" Peter called, the man turned, megaphone still at his mouth.
"Spider-man!" He yelled, the device squealed and both vigilantes took a step back.
"My father was Captain George Stacy of the 19th Precinct." Gwen yelled over the commotion.
"Yeah, I knew who he was. What can we do for you?" The officer finally put down the megaphone.
"Jumper cables." Rory said plainly.
"Jumper cables?" The officer repeated.
"Yes, and copper wire." She glanced back at Peter who finally walked towards them.
"Am I talking louder that I usually talk right now?" He yelled.
"Yes." Gwen laughed.
"No, not really." Rory shrugged.
"Whoa! Whoo!" He tried to get the ringing out of his ears. "How are you okay right now?" He pointed at Rory, she shrugged.
"I'm a witch, I have spells." She waved him off.

The officer turned on his cruiser, Gwen tried to grab the cables but Rory was quick to step in.
"I can-" Gwen tried.
"No, I don't what a Gwen-fry." Rory waved her off, taking the cables and hovering over the web shooters. "You suit will ground you." She told Peter.
"Okay, do it." The spider vigilante jumped around, his wrists held out. Rory clamped her ends down and sparks flew out, she jumped back slightly.
"Okay, try, try, try." Peter ushered. "Hurry, hurry, hurry." Gwen took a magnet from her pocket and it stuck easily to the shooter. She smiled triumphantly.
"And that's why you were number two at Midtown." The blonde teased.
"Rub it in, okay." Peter scoffed. A sign above them buzzed.
"I gotta go." Peter turned to the two.
"I'm coming with you." They both said at the same time.
"Hey, no, you're not coming with me." Peter grabbed both of their shoulders.
"Yes, we are." Gwen stated firmly.
"No, it's too dangerous. Come on, Hecate. Work with me here." Peter sighed.
"I'm coming with you. Not you Gwen." Rory pointed to the blonde.
"I've seen the grid specs and I know how to reset the entire system." Gwen told them proudly.
"Cant be that hard, I made a web shooter." Rory waved her off.
"Wait, you did what?" Peter turned to her, that was news to him.
"Shh, we have to go." She turned to leave. Gwen began arguing with Peter, he placed his hand over her mouth before caving.
"Okay, you're coming with me. Close the thing." He pointed to the good of the car. When Gwen placed her hand on it, Peter shot a web to keep her there.
"Love you, please don't hate us!" Rory ran after the spider.
"Peter, Rory!" Gwen yelled before clamping her hand over her mouth. The two swung to the problem.
"When did you made a web shooter?" Peter asked her as he held onto her waist.
"When you were sulking before our field trip to the sewers." Rory turned her nose to him. Peter laughed.
"Still want the sewers."