chapter nine

THE NEW HERO
————————

THE NEW HERO————————

————————

RORY HADN'T SEEN OR HEARD FROM PETER FOR ABOUT A WEEK. She had gotten over she shock, but she was upset the brunette wasn't at school. Manny had refused to let his daughter go on watches as news spread of a new vigilante.
He wore a basic 'new hero getting the hang of it' outfit. A ski mask and some sweats didn't scream 'friendly' with the press.

Finally, Peter came back to school. As he walked down the hall, everyone stared at him, some turning to their friends to gossip.
"It's terrible, I mean how could someone do that to another human?" Gwen's voice came from right next to Rory's ear. The girl jumped slightly having nothing noticed her presence.
"I don't know, it's disgusting what people do to others." Rory looked back to Peter, who had just made it to his locker.
"Hey Parker!" Flash called, gaining the attention of the students in the hall.
"Not today, Flash." Peter warned as he shuffled through his locker. Rory put her books up and closed the door to her own, preparing to step in if need be.
"Hey, come one man. I just wanna talk." Flash brushed him off, placing a hand on the Parker boys shoulder.
Peter turned and slammed the blond against the lockers in a quick movement. Flash held his hands out in surrender.
"It feels better, right? Look, your uncle died. I'm sorry man, I get it. I'm sorry." He rushed out. Rory walked forward swiftly and stood next to Peter's arm.
"Put him down." She ordered calmly, trying to catch his gaze. "Pete, come on. Just walk away."
Peter dropped the bully and grabbed Rory's wrist, storming out of the building.

"I'm sorry." Peter mumbled, sitting on the steps out the front door of the school. He held his head in his hands.
"You have nothing to be sorry for. Grief is a funny thing." Rory told him as she sat right next to him, their thighs touching.
"You know?" Peter looked at he girls face, his eyes red from unwanted tears.
"Unfortunately yes." Rory looked at her hands. "My mother, brother and I were in an accident before we moved here. She died. It was horrible, my dad was heartbroken, I could tell. He tried to act tough for us, but I could hear him cry at night. I've just gotten used to my grief I guess. And my brother doesn't remember it very much. He was 5 when it happened."
Peter looked at her and listened intently. He had never heard Rory talk about her past much, he was honored to be trusted with the information.
"I'm sorry." He glanced at the ground. Rory shrugged.
"It was years ago, I've overcome it. Yours is fresh, you have every right to have random emotion spells." She informed him. Slowly, Peter reached over and grabbed Rory's hand. He then looked forward and just sat there. Rory smiled and looked down to hide her growing embarrassment.
"You wanna skip first period? I know a good ice cream place that's skating distance from here. And they should be open." Rory suggested.

-

"Please, papa! I miss it!" Rory pleaded with her father. She wished desperately to go on a watch, especially with this new vigilante running around.
"No, it's not safe." Manny didn't even spare her a glance.
"When has it ever?" Rory crossed her arms. "Please, just one night. Just so I can run around. I'll stay away from this new guy even."
Manny sighed and looked up from his paper work. "One night, no crime. Got it?"
"Thank you!" Rory shrieked as she hugged her father tightly and kissed his cheek. Running to her room, she practically fell as she rushed to get her suit on. Finally, she would be able to feel the wind on her face, she missed it so much.