chapter two

BARLEY A FELONY
———————————

BARLEY A FELONY ———————————

———————————

RORY KNEW IT WASN'T A GOOD IDEA, BUT SHE DID IT ANYWAY. Walking towards the Oscorp building, she halted in her steps at the sight. It was huge, so much bigger than she thought. They lived in Virginia, how did her mom work for this company at home?
"Hey, Rory." The girl was pulled from her thoughts at the mention of her name. Turning, she caught sight oh the last person she thought she would see, Peter.
"Peter?" Rory said in slight shock, slight question. Turning her body to face his she smiled sheepishly.
"Nice glasses." He pointed to her dark rimmed frames. She chuckled.
"You too." She retorted. "Uh, what are you, what are you doing here?" She asked, taking a step towards him.
"Well, I was hoping to talk to Dr. Connors. He worked with my dad." Peter revealed. Rory's jaw slightly dropped in shock.
"My mom used to work for him too. Uh, that's why I'm here." She told him. Peter chuckled lightly.
"It's fate." He joked. "Shall we?" He motioned to the building. Rory nodded and they walked in together. Looking at the grandeur interior, they were lost in thought.
"Excuse me?" A professional looking woman behind the lobby desk broke them out of their trans. Looking over, they quickly walked over.
"Can I help you?" The woman asked expectingly after a beat of silence.
"Yes, we're here to see Dr. Connors?" Rory lied smoothly.
"Oh, of course." The woman smiled. "You can find your names to the left."
Rory and Peter shared a glance, not exactly knowing what to do.
"You two are here, f-for the internship?" She stated almost as a question.
"Oh yes, of course we are!" Rory chuckled nervously. "It's been a long day." She suggested. The woman nodded in understanding.
"Well, you can find your bandages to the left." She pointed again. Rory nodded and pulled Peter to the badges. Looking down, she looked for one that would match her appearance. Work casual, but not too fancy.
"Are you having trouble finding yourselves?" The woman stood to assist them. Peter grabbed the first badge he could see and Rory did the same, just with more grace.
"Oh, no ma'am. We got it." Peter nodded quickly.
"Okay, Mr. Guevara." She said hesitantly. "And uhm, Mrs. Smith."
"Gracias." Peter smiled innocently.
"De nada." The woman looked at both teens confusingly.
"You can call me, Alexandra. Must have been a typo." Rory smiled as well. She nodded with a tight lipped grin.
Rory turned and grasped Peter jacket sleeve and tugged him along.
"Gracias?" She chuckled at him with better pronunciation than he did.
"Oops." He shrugged. "I didn't know we would have to commit a felony." Peter rolled his eyes.
"Eh, it's barley a felony." Rory shrugged. "As long as we don't get caught." Peter looked at her with wide eyes, he never expected this from Rory Morais, the quiet loner who only ever talks to Missy and, on occasion, Gwen. He was shocked, but wasn't mad.

"Welcome to Oscorp." An automated female voice sounded from speakers near the pair. "Born from the mind of our founder, Norman Oscorp. The Oscorp tower houses one hundred floors of innovation. Our scientific minds are pushing the boundaries of defense, biomedical, and chemical technologies. The future lies within."
"Is that-" Rory began pointing to a blonde girl a few feet away.
"Welcome, I'm Gwen Stacy, I'm a senior at Midtown Science, I'm also head intern to Doctor Connors. So, I'll be with you for the duration of your visit." Gwen finished. The two stowaway teens hid behind a very tall boy who was in the group.
"Shit." Rory looked at Peter. "We have to go back."
"Go back? We just got here." Peter smirked.
"Yeah, and Gwen is here." Rory pointed out. "We are gonna get busted."
"Just, don't draw any attention to yourself." Peter grabbed Rory's hand and pulled her forward. "Come on, we're gonna get left behind."