chapter eight

THE STAGES OF LOSS
—————————

THE STAGES OF LOSS—————————

—————————

SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT, BUT SHE WAS GLAD SHE DID. She was a curious girl, Rory was. It wasn't stalking, per say, it was just curiosity.

Once Rory got home, she made sure to stop by her fathers office to let him know she was going on a watch, she rushed to her room to change. Quickly placing a bandage on her hand.
Her suit was handmade, and very nice. The black and slightly red outfit was perfect for her side gig. Pulling her hair into two braids, she put her mask on and jumped out her window.
It took a while until Rory found Peter, but she kept watch of him from the shadows, making sure to keep the light off of her. It wasn't stalking, it was keeping her peers safe.

Watching from the top of a building, Rory saw as a man with sunglasses walked out of a gas station, Peter following shortly after. Her attention was drawn away from the brunette boy as the gas station worker came running out, yelling for someone to stop the blond. He turned to Peter but the boy just shrugged.
She jumped down to the street and as the blond man caught sight of her, he took off. Rory was fast, she was sure of that, but the streets were packed and the man was weaving in and out. Pushing people over as he ran.
Standing on a car after losing sight of him, she saw him fall and a gun slide away from him. Then, she saw Peter's uncle, Ben, run forward to stop him.
"No!" Ben yelled as he began wrestling the gun away.
"Sir! Sir, don't do that!" Rory yelled as she ran forward. But then. a gunshot. Rory faltered and her eyes widened. Ben fell over onto the ground and the blond man staggered away. Rory ran at full force.
"No! No, no, no, no, no!" She yelled as she halted by the body. Dropping to her knees, she pushed her shaking hands onto the wound. The older man's aura was getting dimmer and dimmer, he was dying.
Peter staggered over, tears forming in his eyes. Rory wanted to run over and hug him, but she couldn't blow her cover.
"Hey, hey you!" She called to him. He looked at her with a dazed look. "Hey, I need you to call the police. Get an ambulance down here." Peter fell next to her on the ground.
"Uncle Ben!" He yelled. "Oh god, oh no. Uncle Ben!"
"Okay, okay uh," Rory looked around. "Here give me your hands." Peter put his hands in front of him. Moving one off the wound, she grabbed his and placed them over the gunshot.
"You have to push, okay? Put pressure." She told him, Peter couldn't think straight, she knew it.
"Peter! I need you to calm down." She yelled to him. It seemed to knock him out of his daze and he began putting pressure on the wound.
"I'm gonna get someone to call the cops, keep the pressure!" She got up and ran into the street to find any passerbys. Finding a woman Rory told her to call 911 and that there had been a shooting.
As she ran back to Peter, she saw it, his aura was gone. Peter must have come to the conclusion as he wasn't pushing anymore, and had his head down.
"Damn it." Rory yelled. Peter looked up and grabbed her arm.
"How do you know my name? Who are you?" He asked.
"I have to go, the police will be here any minute. I cant be here when they are." Rory tried to pull her arm away. Peter stood up and pushed her onto the alleyway wall. He caught sight of the bandage on her hand that was now stained in his uncles blood.
"Who are you? Did you shoot him?" He asked. The Parker boy was angry, Rory saw it in his aura.
"No, no. I only tried to help." Rory gasped out. Police sirens got louder and louder and Rory really had to go. Finally, Peter let go of her shoulder and she started running off.
"Halt! Stay right there!" A strong voice rippled through the air causing Rory to stop running and put her hands up.
"Turn around slowly." Rory obeyed, turning she kept her head down as she had taken off her mask. Turning her fingers, the alleyway got darker.
"Let go of the light young lady!" The officer yelled with his gun raised. Of course he knew who she was, she was popular in the news. Relaxing her hands, the light filtered back into the alley.
"Now, slowly take you mask off with your right hand." The officer ordered. Rory sighed and looked at anyone for help.
"Officer! I think I see the guy, him over there!" Peter yelled abruptly. The officer turned and looked around, running up to a blond man, turning him around a startled older woman looked back at him.
"Sorry ma'am." The officer rushed back to the alley, but it was empty.

-

Rushing home, Rory jumped through her window and ran to the bathroom.
Manny, having heard the girl arrive back home, calmly walked up the stairs to see her. However, he faltered when he saw blood on the door handle of the bathroom. Knocking on the door frantically, he spoke.
"Rory, Rory baby. What happened? Why is there blood?" Manny asked as he leaned his head in the door, trying to listen in. The knob twisted from the other side and Manny was brought face to face with his distraught, crying daughter.
"Rory, what happened?" Manny asked again when his daughter engulfed him into a hug.
"He died, I watched him die and I couldn't stop it." Rory choked out.

After helping his daughter wash her hands and change the bandage, he waited patiently in the living room for her to change.
Walking down the stairs in jeans and a baggy graphic-tee, Rory had a dazed looked.
"What happened?" Manny asked again, calmly as his daughter sat down.
"I was on a watch and I saw this blond guy leaving a gas station. Right after, the cashier ran out yelling that someone needed to stop the man, so I jumped down and when he saw me, he ran. I lost him for a second, so I got up on a car and saw him fall and when he did, a gun slid away from him. Then, my friends uncle showed up and ran at the blond guy, they were wrestling for the gun and I tried to stop him, I tried. But I-I was too late." Rory explained. "There was a shot and the guy ran away. My friends uncle was on the ground. I tried to stop the bleeding, but I also had to call the police. My friend, he was actually there and he walked up and saw it. I got him to hold the wound but papa, it was too late. His, his aura was dimming, it was dying just like he was. I've never seen that happen but somehow I knew what was going on. I ran to get someone to call the police but when I came back he was gone. His aura was completely gone. His nephew, my friend, freaked out and almost found out who I was. Then I almost got caught by the police but he helped me get away."
"Rory, I need you to be sure no one saw you. Are you sure?" Manny grabbed his daughters hand. She nodded and tears fell from her eyes.
"Okay." Manny sighed as he pulled his oldest child into his arms.