chapter thirteen

A CULT OF LIZARDS
—————————

A CULT OF LIZARDS—————————

—————————

WHILE LEAVING THE PRECINCT, RORY NOTICED A GROUP OF LITTLE LIZARDS CRAWLING UNDERGROUND.
"Hey Pete?" Rory hit his arm lightly, pointing out the little creatures.
"What the hell?" Peter walked closer to them. As he went to touch one, Rory's phone rang.
"Shit, it's my dad." Rory grimaced, fearing she'd be in trouble for skipping school.
"Hola, papa." She held the phone to her ear. On the other side, Manny sounded calm.
"Hey hon, Luis' school called, he's been throwing up. I know you aren't at school so could you take him home? I'm caught up with work right now." He explained.
"Oh yeah, no problem. Sorry about skipping I know-" Rory tired to state her side of the story.
"It's okay, I was once a teenager too. Just make sure Luis is okay, alright?" Manny chuckled.
"Okay, I love you papa." Rory sighed as she hung up the phone.
"You in trouble?" Peter asked immediately.
"Nope, my brothers sick. I gotta get him from school." Rory shrugged. "Oh, I'll call you later okay? I'm gonna do some more research about this lizard problem. Hopefully we could get it to Spider-man or Lady Hecate."
Peter chuckled but waved goodbye as she started backing up. "Hey, tell Luis I hope he feels better!" Peter called.
"Will do! I think he likes you more than he likes me actually." She laughed before running off.

-

Turns out Luis wasn't actually sick and just threw up because he ate too much, typical Luis.
"You are such a sneak." Rory scoffed as she unlocked their front door.
"I was hoping you could get me. I didn't some digging about lizards." Luis plopped on the sofa.
"You did what?" Rory chuckled, sitting down next to him.
"You said there was a giant lizard problem, so I did some digging. I actually learned a lot about lizards today." He smiled.
"Alright then, little genius. Well, I need to do a little run about." Rory stood and started walking upstairs. "Don't open the door, don't eat anything you wouldn't if papa was here, and try to act sick if he does get home before me."

-

As he waited, Peter sat and played games on his phone. All the webs were actually very comfortable.
When one of the webs vibrated, he knew it was game time. Pulling his mask down, Peter began crawling forward. That is, until another web snapped from behind him. Soon enough, all of the webs were bouncing and the Parker boy just sat in the middle preparing for an attack from either side.
In one of the tunnels, a large, lizard like shadow appeared. Crouching lower, Peter help his hand up, just in case. However, the only danger was a group of regular sized lizards.
They came from all sides, walking towards Peter, then around him, they all began walking into one tunnel. The spider vigilante knew it wasn't the best of ideas, but he was out of options. So, slowly and carefully, he began crawling after them. However, at the sound of a grunt and the slithering of a tail, he looked up.
Immediately, The Lizard jumped onto the startled boy, knocking him back in the center of all the webs. Placing one of his nasty, scaly feet on the vigilantes chest, he looked down with a sinister smile.
"Well, well, well." It tisked. "I knew the Spider had to be around. After all, I have his little girlfriend."
At this, Peter stopped struggling and looked up. In on of the lizards grimy hands, was Lady Hecate.
"Shall we see who this supposed goddess is?" Connors sneered as he lifted his other hand to the girls mask. Peter turned his head quickly, if he was going to know her identity, it would be because she trusted him enough with it.
"No!" Lady Hecate coughed out, trying to shield her face from the monstrous creature. It proved to be futile as Connors easily got a claw under the fabric and pulled upward.
Peter still had his head turned away, he even had his eyes closed. Connors didn't like this.
"You open your eyes!" He roared. When the spider vigilante refused, the beast sighed.
"I guess Ill just have to try a different route." Peter could hear as the claws on his free hand grew, pulling the slimy flesh with it. The Parker boy could also hear as soon as Lady Hecate's breathing became quick uneven.
"Shall we cut her? Maybe a little mark, so you'll always be ugly." The lizard taunted. Peter, still with his eyes closed, turned his head slowly.
"No, Spidey don't. It won't help the situation." Hecate for out before her screams echoed through the tunnel. Quickly opening his eyes, despite the woman's warning, he pushed the monster off his chest. The still faceless Lady Hecate was tossed to the side where her breaths came is gasps. She was groaning like she had been hurt, but Peter still didn't look.
Connors quickly tackled the boy again, this time holding him down with one hand as Peter struggled to keep the other one away.
"You stopped me once." Connors thundered. "You won't stop me again." This time, the man truly growled. Peter desperately tried to keep the talons-for-nails away from his body.
"I'm getting stronger everyday!" Connors cheered as his claws grew even more, this time, cutting Peter's chest in three long scratches.

Sitting on the sidelines is not what Rory wanted to do. She wanted desperately to help her vigilante friend, but with no mask and a scratched leg, she didn't know what she could do.
Hearing Dr. Connors whine about being a villain, she somewhat tuned him out, trying her hardest to call to any gods that would be willing to help. Unfortunately, she was distracted as Spider-man groaned in pain. The Morais girl looked up quickly just in time to see the vigilante punch Connors in the face, the webs around them breaking. Safe to say, she dove into the water right after the two.
Spidey was able to kick out of the lizards hold, however his webs wouldn't work. So, Rory shoved her hands forward and a blast of light shot out. It was bright enough that she was able to slip past the gross beast and into the smaller tunnel Spider-man had just gone through. The current was so strong, she only hoped her had gone the same way he had.
Getting thrown out of a sewer drain, Rory quickly crawled to the side, gasping for air. Her leg stung and her eyes hurt, she doubted that was the cleanest water in the world.
"Oh, that sucked." She heard a little ways down from her. Standing up, the Morais girl hopped along the wall so she wouldn't fall.
"Spidey." She mumbled. He turned at his name, but quickly hid his face as to not see hers.
Rory stumbled over to him and plopped down on the walkway.
"Hey, are you okay?" She asked him. The vigilante simply sent a thumbs up her way. "Dude, it's okay. You can look."
Sighing, Spidey flopped back down and looked up. She could tell she wasn't who he expected.
"Rory." He gasped and he sat up.
"How do you know that?" She asked, however she cut off his answer. "You know what, don't worry about it. Yes, my name is Rory Morais. Now get up, I have first aid things at my house." She stood and held her hand down. The vigilante was too stunned to move, so he just stared.
"Come on, my brothers sick." She waved her hand around. Taking it, the vigilante stood and leaned some of his weight on her.

"What did he do to you?" Spider-man asked randomly and they took the back roads to Rory's house.
"He scratched my leg. Nothing to bad." She shrugged. Spider-man stopped walking and turned Rory's body. Looking at her leg where her suit was ripped in three scratches.
"I'm so sorry, I should have done something but-" He rambled.
"Hey. it's cool. No hard feelings." Rory pulled him along. "Plus, I don't know you, so how could I be mad?"
Raising his hand to his head, the vigilante pulled his mask off.
"No! What are you doing?" Rory groaned as she turned around.
"Rory, hey." He grabbed her hand. She recognized that soft voice. Come to think of it, she recognized a lot about him. Turning slowly, she was met face to face with Peter Parker.