chapter thirty-four

Vinnie sat at his desk, staring blankly at the screen of his computer in boredom during his lunch break. Here he was contemplating his entire life and all the recent decisions he had made. His phone ringing soon interrupted him from his thoughts.

Before he could even say hello he heard screaming on the other end.

"Emily what's going on?" Vinnie asked frantically.

"This bitch is trying to kill me. I'm not fucking exaggerating either. Please come here I'm locked in the bathroom." Emily cried frantically.

Vinnie logged off of his computer, got his things, and ran for the door all the while letting her know that he was coming and to stay exactly where she was.

——

"What the fuck are you doing?" Vinnie screamed, pulling Aaliyah away from the door of the bathroom and taking the gun she had in her hand and throwing it to the other side of the room.

"She stole you from me! She's a fucking bitch." Aaliyah sobbed, desperately trying to get out of Vinnie's arms.

"You need to calm down okay? Calm down." Vinnie instantly lowered his voice.

The only reason this could be happening was if Aaliyah hadn't taken her anti-depressants and from the way she was acting and speaking proved to him that she hadn't.

"N-No, I can't lose you Vinnie." Aaliyah kept sobbing, eventually collapsing in his arms into the floor.

"Just breathe Aaliyah. Breathe for me okay?" Vinnie whispered, stroking her hair.

He looked up to see Emily in the frame of the door, tears in her eyes as she stared down at the two of them. She knew she had fucked up when she saw the girl laying helplessly in Vinnie's tight and comforting embrace.

"D-Did I break you two up? Am I the reason?" Emily asked quietly.

"No Emily, I did. I couldn't stop thinking of you and when I thought you were dead it made me miss you and- I fucked this up. I'm the reason we broke up." Vinnie answered.

"You shouldn't miss me Vinnie and it was selfish of me to contact you. I'm not someone who you should miss. I left you all alone as a single father. You were a teenager and you didn't deserve that. I've cheated and broke your heart and I'm selfish. She's none of those things. She loves you and your kids." Emily spoke.

"Emily-"

"I'll never reach out to you again. You deserve someone who loves you just as much as they love you and I can't be that person. Don't mess things up with her forever because of me." Emily pleaded.

"But I love you." Vinnie whimpered.

"This isn't love Vinnie." Emily shook her head.