chapter thirty-five

(A/N: MENTIONS OF RAPE. DON'T READ IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE READING SUCH TOPICS)

Vinnie had left Emily's hotel room, carrying Aaliyah in his arms with tears running down his face. Hearing Emily admit that she didn't love him anymore completely broke him.

"I'm so sorry." Aaliyah quietly spoke from the passengers seat.

Vinnie didn't answer. He just kept driving her to the address she had given him to drop her off at. His jaw was clenched tightly the entire way. The sadness was gone and now it was all rage. He was angry at Aaliyah for intervening herself into a situation she didn't belong in anymore. He was angry at Emily for shoving him away. He was angry at his parents for treating him like a child. Most of all, he was angry at himself for putting himself in situations that would only fuck him over in the end.

He had made his decision on what he was going to do before he had even dropped Aaliyah off. He made the decision before he even pulled out of the parking lot of the hotel and he didn't think of how it would effect anyone.

"I really am sorry. I hope you can forgive me someday." Aaliyah said softly as he parked in front of her brothers house.

"It's alright Aaliyah. I get it. Have a good night." Vinnie answered softly, giving her a soft smile as she got out of the car and disappeared into the house.

——

He sat at the edge of the cliff he always went to when he just wanted to think. Last time he was here was with Emily three days before she gave birth to Bear. He sat and typed out three long messages. Three messages to express his feelings to each person he loved dearly.

Vinnie:
Hey mom. I need you to know that I'm sorry for acting the way I've been acting and I'm sorry for making the decisions I've made recently. I want you to know that you've been the greatest mother I could've ever asked for and I know you'll continue to be to Reggie. You're the greatest grandmother to my kids and I ask that you continue to be. Please make sure they know I love them and that I'm sorry for failing them. Give them kisses for me.
Love, Vinnie.

Vinnie:
I know that the reason we aren't together anymore is my fault. I should've told people the truth when they said horrible things about you. I shouldn't have pretended to be a good person when I'm not. I need you to know is that I love you so much and I'm so sorry for what I did to you. Taking advantage of you that night is the biggest regret of my life and I don't blame you for leaving. Please know that I'm so extremely sorry and I hope that someday you'll find it in you to forgive me but if you can't bring yourself to do that, I get it. Find someone who can love you better than I did and someone who treats you like you're the only woman in the world. You deserve that and I'm sorry that I couldn't be the man you needed.

Vinnie:
Aaliyah, I love you so much. You mean more to me than most things do. You came into my life at the time I needed someone the most. You have a heart made of gold and you deserve more than this world can offer. I can't express in words the love I have for you. You are by far the only woman I could ever love. I hope you can forgive me for the heartbreak I caused you. I appreciate you being the mother you were to my children and I know they'll cherish those days forever. I'm sorry I couldn't love you the way you deserved to be loved. I'll forever appreciate everything you've done for me. Don't forget me Aaliyah, I'll never forget you.