chapter forty-one

"Vinnie wake up honey. Why aren't you in your bed?" Maria asked.

Vinnie opened his eyes to see Kaiser sitting up in his bed and daylight shining in the room from the window.

"Reggie was i-in my bed with B-Bear." Vinnie answered, concealing the scoff he almost let out.

"I told him to leave her in there until you got home. I'm sorry baby, I know you wanted to talk to her." Maria said.

"She wouldn't have talked t-to me anyway. She was having fun with him, they were r-reading a story and I didn't want to take that time a-away from her." Vinnie shrugged.

"That only makes you a good dad." Maria said, running a hand through his hair and being cautious around his still healing wound.

Vinnie smiled at his mom and shrugged. Maria didn't say anything more about it. She began to pick Kaiser up but he started pitching a gigantic fit when she did. He was screaming "dada get me" and flailing in her arms.

"Honey, I don't know what you're saying." Maria said as she sat him back down on the bed.

"He said he wanted me to get him." Vinnie explained, standing up from the floor and stretching.

"You understood that?" Maria chuckled.

"Of course I did, he's my baby. It's my job to u-understand him." Vinnie chuckled back and folded up the blanket he was using and layed it on top of the pillows.

He leaned down and picked Kaiser, holding him up and giving him a big smooch.

"Good morning my beautiful boy." Vinnie continued leaving kisses all over his face which made the small boy giggle "You want breakfast baby?" Vinnie asked Kaiser as he followed his mom up the stairs into the kitchen.

"Pancake dada." Kaiser squealed.

"Daddy will m-make you some pancakes." Vinnie said, placing Kaiser in his high chair so he could eat his food.

Bear watched Vinnie intently as he got the frozen pancakes from the freezer for Kaiser. When Vinnie looked over at her, she looked down quickly.

Vinnie shook his head slightly as he put pancakes on a plate and put them in the microwave. He just wanted to hug his daughter and tell her how much he missed her while he was gone. How he thought about her everyday, but he knew she would run if he spoke to her. He was still upset about everything with Reggie the night before.

"Can I have some pancakes too?" Bear asked softly.

"Yeah, you can have some pancakes. I'll tell Uncle Reggie." Vinnie answered.

"But Uncle Reggie always makes them soggy in the microwave. You make them really good." Bear said, standing from her chair and walking closer to Vinnie.

"You want me to make you pancakes?" Vinnie asked, turning around to see her standing by his legs.

"Uh huh." Bear nodded.

"Alright. How m-many do you want?" Vinnie asked.

"Lift me." Bear put her arms in the air.

Vinnie hesitantly leaned down to pick her up. He was afraid of scaring her and ruining this particular moment.

"I'm not scared, you don't have to be either." Bear said, squealing as she was lifted into the air.

Vinnie sat her down on the counter. He turned back to the microwave and got Kaiser's pancakes out as Bear put pancakes on a plate for herself.

"Why didn't you sleep in the bed with me last night?" Bear asked.

"Cause you were with Uncle Reggie." Vinnie answered.

He didn't understand why he was being so cold to her, none of this was her fault. It was his, he made her scared of him. It was Reggie he was mad at.

"But Uncle Reggie left and I was all alone. He said you were gonna come in and sleep in the bed." Bear said.

"I thought he stayed with you in there. I'm sorry Bear." Vinnie said.

"Why'd you call me Bear? You never call me that." Bear asked.

"I'm s-sorry, what w-w-would you l-like me to c-call you?" Vinnie threw his hands in the air and looked at her which made her flinch, his stuttering getting worse as he began to get more frustrated.

"I don't like you right now daddy. You're being mean." Bear whimpered.

Vinnie's eyes softened as she turned away from him and scooted further away. He watched as she wiped tears off of her cheeks.

"I'm s-sorry, I'm just having a h-hard time adjusting to everything r-right now." Vinnie told her calmly, attempting to pull her closer to him but stopping when she started freaking out.

"Okay honey, daddy's s-sorry. I won't touch you right now. I didn't mean to scare you and I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I hope you'll f-forgive me." Vinnie said.

Vinnie put her pancakes in the microwave and they waited for them in silence. Once they were done he put her plate on the table.

"Can I get you down?" Vinnie asked and Bear nodded. He let her down from the counter and she went to the table to eat her breakfast.

Vinnie put Kaiser's cooled down and cut up pancakes in front of him. He sat down and began feeding him the food, not once speaking to Bear again.