chapter forty-eight

"Mom, Dad we should talk." Vinnie said as they finished eating dinner. Everyone, including Aaliyah, was at the table.

"Of course honey. What's up?" Maria asked.

Vinnie cleared his throat, his hand slipping off of his thigh to hold Aaliyah's. He squeezed it out of pure nervousness. The first two times he had told them he was having children they weren't exactly happy and he was afraid this time would be no different.

"Well I went to Aaliyah's today because she needed to talk. When I got there she told me something that I'm pretty excited about and I hope you will be too." Vinnie said.

"We're going to have a baby!" Aaliyah said.

"You guys that's wonderful news! Congratulations." Nate said, standing to them.

"I hope it's a girl this time." Bear said, giving Aaliyah a hug and then crawling in her dads lap to give him one as well.

But they were the only ones to congratulate the couple with the exception of Kaiser who was content with everything about life at this particular moment.

Reggie just snickered, and Maria sat there with her head in her hands.

"Noted. Thank you dad, we appreciate it. You too baby." Vinnie smiled at him and kissed Bear's head before standing up from the table and walking outside with Aaliyah following.

He sat on the porch swing with Aaliyah next to him, rubbing a hand on his back softly. It broke her heart that his family wasn't happy for him and excited like he was. She was excited because she knew how wonderful of a dad he could be.

"Don't be mad at them." Aaliyah said softly.

"How can I not be mad at them? My mom and brother, they react to everything so negatively. They're both like a rain cloud and I'm the flowers that die because there's to much rain. This isn't fair my love, I should be able to be happy today, I found out I'm having a baby with the love of my life and here I am crying on my front porch because of them." Vinnie sniffled as Aaliyah wiped away single teardrops from his cheeks.

"Come on, let's go to the car and talk." Aaliyah said softly.

Vinnie sniffled and nodded. He stood up and followed Aaliyah to the car where they both got in. Vinnie turned in his seat to face as she spoke.

"I know that I've just come back into your life as your girlfriend and I know that maybe this will offend you so if it does, just let me know if I need to mind my business. What I wanted to say is that, the truth is, is that they'll never stop hurting you Vinnie. If they can't support your decisions now then they probably never will. Frankly, if you can't take it anymore then you need to consider removing them from yourself. Trust me, I know that's a painful thought but I had to do it too. My mom never supported me, she always talked down to me and was never happy or proud of me and after awhile, I couldn't take her negativity anymore. That's why I'm not telling her or any of my family that I'm pregnant. They won't support me and they'll tell me I've made a mistake and that I won't be a good mother and I know within myself that none of that is true. I know that I haven't made a mistake." Aaliyah said, cupping his cheek in her hand as he layed across the front seat to test his head in her lap.

"The kids are going to hate me if I take them away from their grandparents." Vinnie answered as tears ran down his cheeks.

"It doesn't have to be forever Vinnie, just until you're ready to talk to them again. To be honest, I don't want you to do it just because I think you should. They're your parents my love and you need to do what you feel is right." Aaliyah answered, smiling as Vinnie turned on his other side to face her tummy.

She could tell he was deep in thought and was struggling to make a decision. He placed a hand on her stomach and let a tear drip down his face.

"I've made my decision." Vinnie mumbled after awhile.

"What's that?" Aaliyah asked.

"I need a break."