chapter thirty-six

(MENTIONS OF BLOOD AND ATTEMPTED SUICIDE. PLEASE DON'T READ IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE READING SAID TOPICS)

Vinnie turned his phone off completely and layed it next to him. He had left a post it note on top of it with his passcode so if his mom ever got it she could open it and find his important information.

He sat for a few minutes just thinking of all the wonderful moments he'd had in his life. The two that stood out the most to him was the births of his children and as much as it broke his heart to pieces that he'd never see them again, he had also unfortunately convinced himself that they'd be better without him.

"I love you Bear. I love you Kaiser." He whispered.

Without a second thought, he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger. Everything went black and backwards he fell.

The last sound he heard while laying on the now blood stained concrete slab was screeching tires and his daughters scream.

And he regretted it.

——

Maria and Nate sat in the waiting room of the hospital. Bear lay against her uncle, fast asleep with a tear soaked face. Kaiser was asleep as well, clutching his grandma's shirt in his tiny fist.

Aaliyah walked into the hospital, finding his family sitting in chairs. She was called by Maria and told to come to the hospital. Maria handed the baby over to Nate gently so he wouldn't wake up.

She rose from her chair and walked out into the parking lot where she told Aaliyah exactly what had happened and it was then that Aaliyah completely fell apart. The thought of never seeing the man she was in love with broke every part of her being until she was on the ground sobbing in his mothers arms.

By this time Bear had woken up and asked Uncle Reggie to take her to her grandma. Reggie hesitantly walked Bear out the doors where she ran over to Aaliyah and Maria who were now sitting on a bench outside.

"Honey why don't you go inside so grandma can talk to Aaliyah?" Maria asked.

"But I want to be with Aaliyah." Bear said softly.

Maria only nodded, not having it in her to deny Bear's request. After all, she had seen her father nearly dead with blood pouring from his head so it didn't take much for Maria to give in to her need at the time.

"Is daddy gonna be okay?" Bear asked and Maria couldn't bring herself to tell the little girl the truth.

"I don't know sweetheart. I hope he will be." Maria answered.

Bear nodded, laying her head against Aaliyah's shoulder. From there on it was silent between the three of them. Bear silently cried on Aaliyah's shoulder and Aaliyah rubbed her back softly to try and calm her.

The quiet was comfortable and it was calming. Calming like it would be if you were sitting next to the ocean and listening to waves crash and for mere minutes both women felt peace. Those minutes came to an end when a code blue rang throughout the hospital speakers so loud you could hear it from outside and seconds later Reggie was rushing out the door, yelling something about Vinnie and how he was going downhill rapidly.

Both women ran inside of the hospital, only to receive the worst news of both of there lives.

News that could very possibly change the way they lived forever.