chapter thirty-seven

(TRIGGER WARNING: MENTIONS OF RAPE!!!!!)

Maria sat in a hospital chair utterly flabbergasted at the news she had received and the things she had learned today. First she finds her son nearly dead, second she learns he raped his ex-girlfriend and that's why she left, and third now he's in a coma and medical professionals aren't sure they'll be able to save them.

Maria knew what it was like to love and hate someone at the same time. She hated him because he didn't think of his children (or so she thought), because he forced a girl into having sex with him, because he selfishly decided to take himself from this world without thinking of the consequences. She hated him because he never told her how he felt. That he had no desire to live anymore.

But in the same moments she was convincing herself that she hated him, she loved him so much that it was a mental struggle to even think of hating her son, the boy who made her a mother and the boy who made her a grandmother. The boy who used to smile at her so brightly as a child and the boy who always kissed and hugged her in front of all the kids at school before he would get on the school bus. The boy who would come home and be so excited to hand out with her. The same boy who, even as an adult, came to her when he was confused. The same boy who she was terrified of losing and never being able to say goodbye.

All she could do was stare down at Kaiser, hoping that this poor baby wouldn't have to live without his daddy. She didn't want to let him go when the doctor called for Vinnie's family, but she knew she had no choice but to place the tired baby in Nate's arms and follow the doctor through the doors.

"Good or bad news first?" The doctor asked, stopping in the smaller waiting area in the trauma hall.

"Bad news." Maria cleared her throat.

"The bad news is that right now he is still comatose. What the nurse didn't specify was that he was medically induced into a coma in order for us to remove the bullet from his head. Fortunately he should come out of it soon. The good news is that the bullet is removed and didn't hit his brain, it missed by a few inches. He should make a full recovery within the next two months, it'll just depend on how strong his tolerance is. Initially we thought he would pass even after the bullet was removed, that's the reason for the code blue because he was bleeding profusely. My nurses and I got the bleeding to stop and were finally able to bandage his head." The doctor spoke.

Maria let out a sigh she didn't know she was holding. Tears of joy formed in her eyes at the news that she would see her baby again.

"When will he be awake?" Maria asked.

"Should be less than an hour." The doctor said.

"Can I see him?" Maria asked.

"My nurses are currently repositioning him to a more comfortable position and putting a new gown on him. As soon as they finish up with him doing that, we would be happy to let you see him. If you'd like to call your husband back and the two of you sit here and wait, that would be fine." The doctor smiled softly and Maria thanked him.

Maria sat in a chair, sending Nate a quick text to let him know to come back.

——

After about 45 minutes of sending texts back and forth with Reggie letting him know what was happening, a nurse gathered their attention.

"Mr. and Mrs. Hacker?" She asked

Nate nodded, standing up with Maria.

"Your son is awake if you'd like to come see him." She informed them.

The two of them followed the nurse down the hall a little ways and opened the door to the room that Vinnie was in. They walked into the room and as soon as Vinnie caught sight of his mom he held a hand up, reaching for her.

"Please take all the time you need with him." The nurse said, excusing herself from the room and closing the door.

Maria and Nate walked over to the bed, pulling chairs up beside him. Vinnie's eyes landed on Nate's shirt which was soaked in blood. A tear fell from his eye, saddened by the thought that his parents and kids saw him like that. He was sad that his dad was so concerned that he never left his side to put on clean clothes. Nate used his thumb to wipe the tears away from Vinnie's cheeks.

Vinnie pointed to the table beside him where a cup of water was sitting. Maria picked it up and held it to his lips. One thing they knew was that Vinnie wasn't able to hold things in his hands. He could only lift them and point. He was also having a hard time speaking as well but he was still able too.

"I-I'm s-s-sorry." Vinnie tried to speak.

"Don't apologize baby. I understand." Maria responded, laying a soft kiss on his head.

"I-I did s-something bad m-mom." Vinnie said.

"Try to relax honey, okay? I think I already know." Maria said.

"E-Emily?" Vinnie asked and Maria nodded.

"She texted you back. She said she doesn't want you to beat yourself up about it because she's forgiven you." Maria said.

Vinnie let out a shaky breath and tear fell down his cheek. Nate wiped the tear away from his sons face and moved his back from his face. He usually wasn't a soft person like this, but almost losing his son was a different story. He didn't care about acting rough right now.

"D-Do you ha-hate me?" Vinnie asked.

"No son, we don't hate you. We're very sad and disappointed that you did that to her but if she can forgive you, so can we. It's up to you to forgive yourself." Nate spoke.

Vinnie nodded, swallowing hard to try and get the lump down his throat.

"D-Did Bear s-see me?" Vinnie asked, scared for the answer.

"Yes baby, unfortunately she did." Maria answered, standing up and hugging him when he started crying.

"She's gonna be just fine, calm down okay? Just breathe with me." Maria said, realizing he was beginning to hyperventilate.

"I-I'm a h-horrible dad." Vinnie sniffled.

"No you aren't Vinnie, you're a great dad." Nate said, running fingers through his hair but being sure to be gentle and avoid his wound.

"She's rooting for you okay? She wants you to get better. She still loves her daddy." Nate reassured him.

Vinnie calmed down some, taking another sip of water before laying back down in his bed.