chapter twelve

"Who's at the door daddy?" Bear asked as the three of them continued eating.

"I don't know. Stay here with Aaliyah okay?" Vinnie said, getting up and walking to the door.

He opened it only to nearly shit himself. Standing there at his front door in all of their glory, was Emily fucking Nicol.

"What are you doing here?" Vinnie asked.

"Who's the bitch inside?" Emily asked loudly.

"That is none of your fucking business. Why are you here?" Vinnie asked again.

But before Emily could answer she was interrupted.

"You said you didn't know her daddy." Bear said.

Vinnie spun around, nearly choking on air at the sight of his now teary eyed daughter standing 2 feet behind him.

"Baby go eat your food." Vinnie said.

"No daddy. Who is she?" Bear asked coming closer to him and holding his pant leg out of instinct. Her daddy made her feel safe.

"Bear we'll talk lat-"

"Honey, I'm your mommy." Emily said, interrupting Vinnie right in the middle of his sentence.

It was right at that point that Aaliyah appeared in the living room, taking a crying Bear back into the kitchen and beginning to calm the little girl.

"Why the fuck would you do that? I fucking helped you." Vinnie said, stepping outside and closing his front door.

"I want to know her Vinnie." Emily responded.

"You don't get that right Emily. You left me at 16 to be a single dad of a girl. I didn't know how to raise her, I had to learn how to change her right because I didn't know female anatomy. I cried so many times thinking I wasn't doing right by her or Kaiser." Vinnie said, his voice raising.

"I know and I'm sorry. I regret that decision I made everyday. I just want to be with you." Emily said, stepping closer to him.

Vinnie stared into her eyes and for the first time in years realized exactly why he fell for her in the first place and without Aaliyah even crossing his mind he kissed the girl on his front porch.

"Vinnie?" A soft voice could be heard from behind him.

He immediately pulled away and turned to see Aaliyah with what looked like an understanding look.

"Aaliyah-"

"It's okay. I promise it is. If she is what makes you happy and she is who you want then please be with her. Just don't hurt your guys' kids. If at any point you feel like you need me I'll always be here." Aaliyah said.

Vinnie was silent and it felt like his world was crashing all at once and he had no control.

"Thank you for having me over tonight. I enjoyed my time. I'll see you tomorrow when you drop Bear off at school." Aaliyah said, rubbing his arm softly and stepping passed both of them.

"Bye A-Aaliyah." He stuttered.

———

"Do you want to meet her honey?" Vinnie asked softly.

"No. I never wanna meet her. I want her to go home." Bear said, wiping her tears away from her eyes.

"Okay baby. I'll take you to bed." Vinnie said.

"I wanna sleep in my room tonight." Bear said.

Vinnie nodded. He helped her get into her pajamas, brush her teeth, and layed her down in her bed. He kissed her forehead softly.

"Bear I'm sorry." Vinnie said.

"Daddy I don't wanna talk to you right now. I'll see you in the morning, good night. I love you." Bear said, her small voice quivering.

"See you in the morning. I love you." Vinnie answered back with a saddened voice.