chapter forty-three

(A/N: MENTIONS OF SUICIDE ATTEMPTS!!!)

It was 8 days since Vinnie came home and 6 since Reggie had shoved him. In those 6 days the two brothers had gotten into three arguments and one fist fight. A fist fight that Vinnie won.

"Get off of your brother now!" Maria yelled as she pulled Reggie away.

"What is with you two?" Nate asked as he walked into the room, seeing Vinnie on the couch with a very surprised look on his face.

"He took her from me! We were so close and he took her!" Reggie yelled.

"He took who from you?" Nate asked.

"Bear!" Reggie yelled.

"Bear is his daughter Reggie! A daughter he wasn't able to see in an entire month. I'm sure he appreciates you taking care of her but it's his time to be with her and make sure that she's okay." Maria spoke calmly.

"It's his fault she's not okay! If he wouldn't of tried to kill himself she would be normal." Reggie yelled.

Vinnie's eyes filled with tears and his mouth dropped open in a silent sob. Reggie instantly regretted his words as he stared down at his brother.

"I-I'm so-sorry." Vinnie spoke through his sobs and tears.

"Vinnie, honey it's okay. You don't need to apologize." Maria said.

"I-I'm gonna go. I'll call later." Vinnie sniffled.

Standing up, he grabbed his phone, texting Aaliyah as walked out the door despite his families pleas to stay. He got in his car and pulled out of his driveway. On the way to Aaliyah's house he thought about what Reggie said and he couldn't help but feel like his brother was right. It all went back to him not being good enough as a parent. If ruining his daughter's mental health at 6 didn't prove that then had no idea what did.

Before he even realized it, he had arrived at Aaliyah's apartment complex. He stepped out of his car and walked into the building and up to her door. Knocking lightly on the door, he waited for a few minutes before the door opened. There she was standing there, wrapped in a towel with wet hair.

"You got here quick." Aaliyah let him inside.

"I didn't mean to interrupt you, I'm sor-"

"No don't be sorry, it's alright. Are you okay? You look like you've been crying." Aaliyah asked, reaching up and rubbing his cheek softly.

"Reggie and I got into an argument and he said some things and I just needed to remove myself from that situation. You're the only person I can trust." Vinnie explained.

"I'm sorry that happened. If you'd like, you can come shower with me." Aaliyah said, her eyes holding a hopeful expression.

"Only if you're sure you're comfortable with that." Vinnie answered even though he was bursting at the seams in excitement, literally at the seams.

"I'm comfortable with it. I know I can trust you." Aaliyah smiled.

"I thought we were gonna take things slow." Vinnie stated as he followed her to the bathroom.

"Where's the fun in that." Aaliyah answered.

"You're right, totally boring." Vinnie chuckled, taking his clothes off and getting in with her.