chapter nine

"Hello again, how's your night been?" Aaliyah asked as she got into his car.

"Good so far. How was work?" Vinnie asked.

"It was good. The kids were well behaved and listened." Aaliyah answered.

"That's good. Did my kid listen?" Vinnie chuckled.

"Yes, Bear always listens. She's very good in class. She's considered one of the popular girls in the school." Aaliyah chuckled back.

"Damn, I didn't know that there was such a thing as popular girls in first grade." Vinnie smiled.

"Oh yes. Elementary is a mini high school. Literally. You have the popular kids, the nerd kids, the weird kids. But as a teacher you have to try and look past all that and look at every student the same." Aaliyah said.

"She's not a mean popular girl is she?" Vinnie asked.

"No, she's very polite to everyone. She's sticks up for other when her friends make fun of them." Aaliyah reassured him.

"Good. I'm very proud of her for that. Enough about her though, we're here." Vinnie said as they pulled into a restaurant parking lot.

She looked up at the restaurant and smiled to herself. Of course he wouldn't have known but this was her favorite place to eat. She looked over at him as he focused on parking. She couldn't help but realize how beautiful he looked and especially when he was focusing.

"This is my favorite restaurant." Aaliyah said, smiling even wider when she watched him smile like he was proud of himself.

"Well, I'm glad that I picked your favorite." Vinnie answered, looking at her intently. He couldn't get over her beauty. She was breath taking.

____

"Thanks for taking me out tonight. I had a great time." Aaliyah smiled as Vinnie walked her to her door.

"No problem, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself." Vinnie smiled, wrapping his arms around her.

They stood in the same place, hugging each other for a while. A comfortable silence filled the air and both of them were enjoying the moment.

"Want a kiss?" Vinnie joked.

He was shocked when she chuckled and mumbled out a "yes" into his chest.

"I can't tell if you're serious." Vinnie looked down at her.

"I am. It's only the first date." Aaliyah chuckled again.

"Technically second, I considered the coffee as a date." Vinnie said, pulling her back into a hug.

"Well then second. I promise on our third date we can share a little kiss." Aaliyah answered.

"Ooooo so I'm third date material huh?" Vinnie laughed softly.

"Why of course." Aaliyah answered.

She never wanted this moment to end. She enjoyed his presence, his jokes, and his hug that comforted her.

"I'll see you tomorrow when you drop Bear off. You can come to my classroom again." Aaliyah said.

"I'll bring you coffee." Vinnie smiled, giving her a fist bump and saying bye.

_____

"How was your date daddy?" Bear asked.

"It was great. I'm taking Miss Aaliyah coffee tomorrow before your class starts." Vinnie said as he followed Bear into their house.

"Aww how romantic." Bear giggled as she rushed up the stairs to get ready for bed.

Everyone got ready for bed and Vinnie made a bottle for Kaiser who was slowly drifting to sleep in his daddy's arms.

"Sleepover?" Bear asked as Vinnie reached the top of the stairs.

"Of course, let's go!" Vinnie said, following his happy daughter into his room.

Bear crawled in bed while he put Kaiser in his bassinet next to the side of the bed he slept on.

"Watch your brother, I'm gonna brush my teeth. After I'm done you'll go next okay?" Vinnie asked, disappearing into the bathroom where he quickly brushed his teeth.

Next Bear went in and did the same. She came back into his room, crawling into the bed next to her sleepy daddy and brother. Vinnie turned out the lights and cuddled Bear into his side.

"Will I ever meet mommy?" Bear asked.

"Maybe someday, but for right now you have daddy. Goodnight baby, I love you." Vinnie yawned.

"Night daddy." Bear answered softer this time, kissing his puckered lips before laying back down and falling asleep on his chest.