chapter thirty-one

As soon as Vinnie had walked through the door his dad started going off. He should've known not to trust his mother and at this specific moment she was dead to him.

"I'm leaving okay? I'm going. Where are my kids?"Vinnie answered as salty, hot tears streamed down his cheeks.

"You aren't taking them around her Vincent." Maria spoke up from behind Nate.

"Who said I was going to see her. I'm not stupid." Vinnie snapped.

"Clearly you are stupid. Apparently you've always been stupid." Nate yelled.

"Nate!" Maria said, lightly smacking his arm.

"Apparently I am because the stupidest decision I've ever made was to trust either of you." Vinnie yelled, turning to go downstairs.

He ignored his mothers pleas to come back. If she cared she would've kept her mouth shut. Reggie stood at the bottom of stairs as Vinnie came down.

"Vin. Vinnie stop. Stop!" Reggie said, jumping in front of him before he could walk into the room where his kids were.

"Fuck you Reggie, fucking move." Vinnie yelled.

"I'm not gonna take your words to heart right now. I just don't want you to scare Bear and Kaiser. You're angry right now, just calm down before you go in there." Reggie said, keeping his hands planted firmly on Vinnie's shoulders.

Vinnie stood there, staring his brother in the eye and all he could see was pure concern and love in Reggie's eyes. Vinnie's lip quivered as he kept looking at Reggie.

"Just cry Vinnie." Reggie whispered, sinking to the floor with Vinnie in his arms.

"I-I can't take it anymore." Vinnie sobbed into his brothers shoulder.

"You have to take it Vinnie. You have kids and they need you." Reggie answered.

"They need someone who can take care of them and I guess I'm not very good at it." Vinnie answered, moving out of Reggie's arms and leaning against the wall.

"Shut the fuck up Vinnie." Reggie shook his head.

Vinnie looked up at Reggie, ultimately listening to him and not speaking a word.

"You really think that's true? You've been nothing but a wonderful father to both of them. You wouldn't be you without them Vinnie. You've always fought for them when there was nothing else worth fighting for, don't stop now because mom and dad want to treat you like a kid." Reggie said.

Vinnie was still silent.

"Listen man, I have enough money in my savings that you and I could move out together with the kids." Reggie offered.

"Reggie that's your college money, I'm not taking your future away." Vinnie gulped down saliva.

"I never had any intentions of going to college. They wanted that, I didn't. It's my money, I earned it and I'm 18, I can do whatever I want with it and I want to help you." Reggie explained.

"No, I'll figure it out. You're not wasting money on me just because I can't get my shit together." Vinnie said, burying his head in his arms.

"Fine I won't waste it on you, but I will on my niece and nephew and it's not going to be a waste. They don't deserve any of this Vinnie, they don't deserve to live in a house with people who don't care about there daddy." Reggie answered.

Vinnie shook his head, knowing his brother wasn't going to give up and he loved him for it.