chapter thirty-nine

Vinnie woke up from his nap to find his Bear curled up on the far end of the bed, as far away from his as possible. She wasn't asleep, she was watching videos on her tablet with her bear tucked under his arm.

"Baby?" Vinnie asked softly, making the small girl jump. She got out of the bed and ran out of the room.

He sighed, rolling over on his back and staring at the ceiling. His moment of peace was interrupted when Reggie walked into the room.

"What did you say to Bear?" Reggie asked.

"I called her baby and I think it s-scared her cause she didn't know I was a-awake and she ran away." Vinnie said, sitting up in his bed.

"She isn't ready to talk to you yet." Reggie said.

"I know that." Vinnie said.

"So then why did you say anything to her?" Reggie asked.

"Because she's my daughter and I can say whatever I want to her Reggie. I didn't mean to scare her." Vinnie said.

"You already did when you shot yourself and she had to see it." Reggie snapped.

"I apologize for not dying correctly. I know it would've made everyone's lives so much easier." Vinnie said, standing from his bed and slipping a shirt on.

"I didn't mean it like that Vinnie." Reggie spoke softer this time.

"Yes you did, asshole." Vinnie was the one to snap this time.

He pushed by Reggie and walked up the stairs from the basement where his room was. He slipped his shoes on sock covered feet which caught the attention of everyone in the house.

"Where are you going?" Maria asked.

"I'm gonna go on a dr-drive. I'll keep my phone on." Vinnie said.

"Alright honey." Maria nodded.

Vinnie opened the door, turning back around to look at Bear.

"I'm sorry if I scared you b-baby. I'll see you later, love you." Vinnie gave her a soft smile before waking out and closing the door behind him.

——

Vinnie ended up at the park. He had gotten out of his car and sat on a bench. It just so happened that Aaliyah had shown up.

"Vinnie?" Aaliyah asked which made Vinnie jump and turn around to look at her.

"Oh- hi." Vinnie said, scooting over a little when she sat down next to him.

"How are you doing?" Aaliyah asked.

"I'm d-doing fine." He answered.

She could feel how tense his body was and her attempt to get him to loosen up by putting a hand on his arm only made him tense up more.

"You don't have to be tense." Aaliyah said as she rubbed his arm. She was trying to comfort him but it was doing something far different to him.

"Mhm. I-I know." Vinnie said.

He cursed at himself mentally for stuttering. He had try to remind himself that he couldn't help it, that this was a result of the bullet being so close to his brain.

"I d-didn't mean to s-stutter. I can't help i-it." Vinnie said.

"I understand Vinnie. You don't have to explain yourself." Aaliyah smiled.

It fell silent between the two for awhile, neither of them knowing what to say next. When something did come to mind, Vinnie tried to avoid speaking about it but he knew he couldn't.

"I h-have something to tell you." Vinnie said, once again trying his hardest to stop stuttering.

"I'm listening." Aaliyah answered, turning towards him.

Vinnie turned to face her and took a deep breath. This wasn't exactly the easiest conversation to have with the ex girlfriend whom you completely screwed up a relationship with.

"In high school, I went to a party w-with Emily. It was while we were together. I got really d-drunk and I raped Emily. I didn't r-remember the next morning. She had t-to tell me what I had done to her." Vinnie said, fiddling with his hands.

"I know, Emily came to the hospital the day it happened and we talked for a few minutes. She told me. She didn't come inside around the kids because she said she wanted to respect your boundaries, she wanted me to tell you that she hopes you have quick recovery." Aaliyah said.

Vinnie nodded. He didn't knew how to respond to that. Or react to the fact that his ex girlfriends had a conversation while he was laying in a hospital bed with head trauma.

"Did Bear say anything to you? About h-how she was feeling?" Vinnie asked.

"Not really. She said she hoped you were gonna be okay and that she missed you but that was all really." Aaliyah said.

"Oh." Vinnie said.

He tried his best not to cry at the thought of his innocent babygirl being traumatized because of him. It was silent between them again for a few minutes before Aaliyah spoke up.

"I miss you." Aaliyah said, glancing at him before quickly looking back down at her hands.

"I-I miss you too." Vinnie said.

"I wish I could've b-been a better boyfriend. I never wanted to h-hurt you." Vinnie said, picking at his fingernails.

"You we're a good boyfriend Vinnie. We both had some things to work through. I think we rushed into it, I shouldn't have moved in so quickly or made you feel like you had to let me move in." Aaliyah said.

"I didn't feel like I had too. I wanted you to be s-safe." Vinnie replied.

"Well thank you." Aaliyah smiled, placing her hand on top of his.

Before the silence could pick back up she spoke again "Vinnie, I still want to be with you. I know you're my person. If I have to live a life without you, then it isn't a life worth living."

"I guess I'd better make it worth living then huh?" Vinnie replied, that being the first sentence he didn't stutter on.