Moments of Wonder

Life, in those small and seemingly insignificant moments, is beautiful. Truly beautiful.

Memories faded like an old scrapbook sit, silently, in the basement of my heart, taking up a space that can be filled by no other..and when I open them, I find myself sitting in a museum, marvelling at the art that has survived centuries. Rain tap tap taps at the window behind me as I stare up at eyes that hold more wisdom than I could've ever fathomed..how many people have stood where I did in that moment, staring up in awe at the details painted on what was once just a blank canvas? Painted by someone who now lives on through the magic they wielded with a simple, little paintbrush..through the eyes of a woman staring down at me through centuries of travel, I wonder what it is I would see? What it is I would feel? Has she ever gone through the trauma I have? Did hands touch her with her consent? Did people tear away at her heart until she felt there was nothing left to give? Had she ever been worn down to the point of breaking? I wonder..did she ever feel like just disappearing off the face of this Earth? Did she ever feel like flying up to the stars in search of a home she wasn't even sure existed anymore? In that moment, though, none of it mattered for I felt wonder enter my heart, my soul, for the first time in a long time. My breath felt anew and the world of possibilities before me felt endless..why, I thought that, if I were to just reach up to the portrait some future version of myself would reach back and pull me out of that misery. Life, in that small and seemingly insignificant moment, felt beautiful. Truly Beautiful.