chapter 52: couldn't wait

KIIARA
❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

I was doing well at the cafe. Almost all the regular customers knew me and we would talk about things like their weekend plans and their daughter's wedding.

I was busy but happy.

Recently, my mind has diverted to a special someone with beautiful green eyes.

He's been sneaking into my thoughts more than normal and I'll admit it.
I miss him.

I don't want to say I'm fully ready but I want to talk to him, know how he is and what he's doing.

I finish sending an email and making a customer's coffee, and walk to the back of the coffee counter.

I take out my phone and hover over his number.

Biting my lip, I hesitate to text him.

Kiiara, fuck it. Since when do you overthink texting?

How's it going?

I send the text, my heart whooshing at the same time the text sends.

I stare at the blue bubble, looking for a read sign or 3 dots but I don't get any.

I hear another customer and I help out.

It's not till 30 minutes later that I get a text back.

going well. How are you?

I force myself to wait a minute before texting.

I'm doing good. Just working. How's the.....grey?

Nile: Fine, but not as good without you.

I smile, not that mad that it was a subtle flirt.

I text him while I change out of my clothes and end my shift, going back to the apartment.

Jordan was already home from school, and I give him a kiss and tell him to put his shoes on so I can take him to karate.

I wash my face and change into some comfy clothes, the February air of New York biting and leaving chills.

I tap on my phone screen to see a text from Nile.

Nile: don't read into that
I just meant that it was funner with you here.
Not that...
nvm

I laugh at his nervousness.

Kiiara: relax, I was just ending my shift I wasn't ignoring you.

"Ready!", Jordan comes out and we walk to the karate studio nearby.

❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

I sit on the benches while Jordan's session goes on. I open up my laptop to complete some college work and text him in between.

What I didn't expect was for him to call me.

It was now 6:30pm, and I knew Nile must be arriving back to his place or already there.