WHERE IS IT?

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
WHERE IS IT?

It was midnight when there was a knock on Robin's bedroom door

It was midnight when there was a knock on Robin's bedroom door. She was wrapped up in bed, facing the wall as she thought over everything that happened at the carnival. She couldn't get the sight of Nate choking Maddy out of her head, or Maddy's mean words. They still stung, and they caused a lot of self refection.

The truth is, Robin was terrified of ending up like her family - more specifically, like Cal or Nate. The fact that Maddy had even compared her to Nate was enough to make her skin crawl. It caused her to think a lot - more specifically, if she was a terrible person or not.

"Robin? Can I have a word?" She heard from outside her room. She didn't answer, the voice of her father was not one she wanted to hear in that moment. After her talk with Aaron, she'd realised he was a massive part of why she felt so shit all the time - his secret had become her secret, and it was too much for her.

Cal, used to her silence when it came to him, entered her room anyway. He'd seen the look on her face after his interaction with Jules, and he'd realised his tape with Jules was missing from his office. She was the first suspect, the prime suspect, and he needed to set the record straight.

He walked across her room, sitting on the bed next to her hip. She didn't face him, pretending to be asleep in hopes he would leave. She could bare small talk, but him in her room was too much.

"Sweetheart?" Cal asks, and the pet name makes her squirm, "I know you're awake."

"What do you want, Cal?" Robin asked, turning and sitting up, crossing her legs as she looked at him. His eyes were cast down at the floor, too embarrassed to make eye contact.

"Did you enjoy the carnival?" He asked.

"It was fine," Robin shrugged her shoulders, she wasn't gonna get to the deep stuff with her father, so short answers it was.

"I wanted to talk to you about what happened at the Chilli stand," He began, and the mention made her roll her eyes.

"I didn't tell Maddy to do that, I had nothing to do with it," She defended herself, making Cal give her a confused look.

"Not about that, I don't care about that," He dismissed, "I'm talking about your other friend."

"Jules?" Robin asked, pretending to be clueless.

"Jules," He nodded.

Robin stayed silent.

"Whatever you thought you saw, you didn't," He told her, and she stayed silent, "I love your mother very much, and no one could ever come in between that."