THE PHONE WORKS TWO WAYS

CHAPTER THREE
THE PHONE WORKS TWO WAYS

By the end of that week Kat's scandal had blown over and we all moved on to the next thing

Robin was sat in the cafeteria with Jules when I first walked in, the two were giggling at something, and the sight made me smile as I took my seat.

Robin for some unknown reason had been hanging out with me and Jules all week - it started with just riding her bike with us because Nate had left without her, and ended with her taking some unknown drug with us that made us fuckin' hear the walls or some shit. To be honest I don't remember much of it, but I knew she was happy to be sitting with us.

She hadn't really seen Maddy after the whole Kat thing at Maddy's house - she'd put a little bit of distance after Maddy's 'don't like boys' comment. It's not that she was worried about Maddy being homophobic, but more so that she was worried if Maddy knew the truth, so did Nate, and then her whole family would find out. If Robin wasn't ready to accept herself, how in the fuck was she supposed to be okay with others even thinking she was anything other than straight?

"Hey Rue Rue." Robin greeted Rue with a smile as the girl walked by, quickly wrapping her arm around Rue's midsection to give her a short side hug.

"What were you guys talking about?" Rue asks them after hugging Robin back and taking a seat on the other side of Jules.

"Jules is talking to this guy-"

"You guys pumped?" The coach of the football team suddenly yelled into the cafeteria, making the three girls turn towards him as those around them screamed out a 'yeah!'

"Are we gonna win?" Coach continued to yell.

"Yeah!"

"Then let's hear it for the East Highland Blackhawks!"

And with that entered the football players. Everyone started to scream and cheer as Robin stayed silent, watching Nate walk in - this was his element, people screaming and cheering for him just for his presence - having all eyes on him as his teammates ran around the cafeteria, hyping people up.

I think in some ways Robin was jealous of Nate. She couldn't care less about football, and would rather stay warm than be cold on a muddy field as you get tackled by randoms, but he had everything he could ever want. He got attention, the good kind of attention; no one fucked with him, no one controlled what he did, and he got the girl. Not only did he get the girl, no matter how on and off they were, no one would ever give them a second look for loving her. They could be together and it would be viewed as normal, no one would have anything bad to say.