Nico

Chapter 7                                           
Buh-Bye                                                                                           

My older sister Luna was brave and fierce. There was no one standing in her path when it was her against the world.
I'm the only family she has left. A wee baby that can hardly do anything but wail to death. A sick baby. A dying baby. A baby that needs to survive or Luna's gonna lose it.
Luna wasn't gonna let anything touch me. But something did. Something that she didn't notice. My sickness. 2 days into the apocalypse and not feeling so good. It's not the infection, it's just my immune system. I'm only a baby, I've been exposed to all these germs and bad stuff. The girls can't even find the correct food for me because all we have is fruit and stuff that goes in the pantry like canned beans.
We have to cook all that stuff over a fire. They found a way to grow crops inside, they spent all day making a giant hole in the middle of the dining room then filling it with bags of soil Ellie found in the garage. That's our garden, not the best, but close.
They also made giant wood spikes and put them all around the house. At the end of the day, the tunnels were finished too.
They dug two leading away from the house, and one going to the store. It took all day. Everything did. We have to army crawl through the tunnels too, I just get strapped to Luna's back.
I began to feel very light-headed. I was in my cradle, alone. Something was happening outside that the girls had to take care of.
I suddenly saw a little mouse come through a crack in the wall. It was Luna's mouse, Firefly. She found us. She crawled up into my cradle where I was and rested on my cheek. I thought of my family. The pain all over me, what was happening? It felt like I couldn't breathe. Firefly snuggled closer to me. I closed my eyes and fell asleep. It was happening. I saw them. I was going to my family.