Chapter 28

Ava's senses were overloaded at every turn. The loud music and large crowd of people combined with the different smells of food at every stall was a lot to take in, but she wouldn't have it any other way.

To say that she was enjoying herself would be an understatement; she was having the time of her life. The activities were light-hearted and easy to do and even Sébastien was in an obviously good mood, elevating hers even further.

"I don't know if I can do this," Ava said, eyeing the large rollercoaster in front of them. Every time a group of people sped by she could hear their screams echoing. It had seemed fun enough before but now they were waiting in line she started to question her decision.

"We can leave if you really don't want to. But it's really fun I promise."

"I don't want to leave but... I don't know."

"It's almost our turn, so you'll have to make a decision soon."

"What if something happens?'"

"It pretty much never does."

"Pretty much?"

"Don't worry about it."

"Well, now I'm worrying."

"When I specifically asked you not to," he sighed.

They reached the end of the line and he turned to her. "Last chance to back out."

But she didn't want to look like a coward, and he'd already gotten the tickets so she knew she couldn't back out. The ride wouldn't take that long, anyways. She'd survive. And if she didn't, at least she didn't die a wuss.

"I can do this," she said more to herself than to him, but her stomach still turned when the time to get in arrived and she had to force herself to move forward.

The grip she held on the bars that held her down was stronger than steel and she refused to let go of them before the end. With wide eyes, she turned to Sébastien who smiled assumingly to her before she had to tear her eyes away to focus on the rails in front of her.

When it suddenly dropped she let out a scream and she hoped it got drowned out by the wind and other people screaming. Adrenaline shot through her veins and she couldn't help but start laughing.

If it was nervous laughter or one of joy she couldn't say.

They went up and down and left and right and she could hardly keep up with everything. The longer it went on the more she learned to enjoy the ride, making her fear she would want to do this all again.

As quickly as it had started it also ended as the car slowed down again, allowing her to catch her breath. She glanced at Sébastien beside her and saw that he was smiling as well.

There still was so much she didn't know about him. His personality was mostly guarded and you'd never even realize he didn't say anything about himself. But this showed her that he at least liked rollercoasters and she had to add that to her small list of things she did know about him.

"What'd you think?" he asked her while they waited for the bars to go back up and release them.

"I don't know," she panted while trying to gather her thoughts. "It was really fun, I think. But also scary. Let's go again," she said, causing him to laugh and shake his head. "We can go back another time if you want, there are still a few things I want to show you."

The bars holding them down suddenly went up and they climbed out, Sébastien a little more graceful than Ava as she almost stumbled out. She eyed the platform to calculate how she could reach it when he held out his hand. When she grabbed it without thinking, he pulled her toward him and onto the platform.