Road Trip

The day has finally come, I get to finally see BTS in concert. I have been impatiently waiting for this day since Covid hit, their MOTS tour was canceled, and I lost my tickets to see them for the first time. I've been floating around for the past week in anticipation of this day, and it's finally here! One advantage of being an "older ARMY" is the fact that I have a stable career,  which affords me more money to spend on the tickets I really wanted-barricade seats. And this time around I spared no expense, getting 2 barricade seats for my sister and I for both days of their concert, along with soundcheck. First though, I should introduce myself and tell you a little about me.

My name is Ella and I'm a 29 year old special education teacher, ARMY, and kpop fanatic in general. I live in Ohio, USA and although my life is relatively very boring, I love my life. I have wonderful parents, a sister and just a couple people I consider friends. My weekdays are filled with teaching 6-8 year olds with special needs and the nights are filled with classroom planning and paperwork. My weekends consist of kpop and kdrama binging. I don't go out much because, I just don't feel like it. I'm single and I'm ok with it. Don't get me wrong, I'm no virgin or saint. I've had my share of relationships, but none that lasted. I have a younger sister, Kayla, who is just as big a kpop whore as I am. It was her who actually introduced me to the group I love most, BTS. She found a video of them online by accident a few years back, loved them, showed them to me, and down the rabbit hole we both fell. BTS is my happiness. So, as I said, my life is pretty boring to most, but I'm happy.

Happiness can't even begin to explain how I'm feeling today as Kayla and I pack up my Tucson to head to Chicago for 4 days of kpop bliss. We have our BTS shirts, light sticks with plenty of batteries, and a large wad of cash to spend until our hearts content on merch. "Did you make sure you have everything packed El? I know how forgetful you can be and I don't want to waste time running to the closest store for anything" Kayla shouts from the back of the car while I'm locking the door to my house. "Yes! I have everything. Deodorant, razor, shampoo and everything else! I triple checked my bags to make sure nothing was forgotten. I want this weekend to be totally stress free. WE'RE FINALLY SEEING BTS!!!" I start jumping with my hands clasped together and the biggest smile plastered on my face. My sister laughs and says, "great, then let's get going because we have a big drive ahead of us. I'm so anxious to get there so I'll know this is really finally happening. Barricade seats bitch! We get to see them up close!" I wink at her as I open the drivers door and say, "oh this is happening sis! It's going to be the best weekend of our lives." We both hop in and I fire the engine, start a shuffle of just BTS songs, and off we head to Chicago.

After nine long hours of driving, with a few pit stops along the way, we finally arrive at our hotel in Chicago. "Ahhhh, it feels so good to stretch my legs and be done with that damn car for a few days" Kayla groans as she raises her arms to stretch out her stiff muscles. I laugh and reply, "I know. I can't believe we're here! The concert isn't until tomorrow but there's tons of merch at the stadium calling our names today. Let's go check in and get ready to head out. We both need showers but we have to move fast so we can get there as soon as we can." "BTS here we come!!" squeals Kayla. I laugh and we grab our luggage from the back of the car, plop it down, and roll it into the lavish looking hotel to check in.

"I'm leaving in 5 minutes! If you aren't ready I'm leaving without you!" I'm trying my best to get Kayla moving because I'm more than anxious to get to the stadium and check out the merch booths. "I'm coming, hold on to your size C's girl, lord!" Kayla walks out of the bathroom wearing her custom made BTS shirt she had made for us, with ripped jeans. Once she grabs her purse, we head to the lobby to catch a cab to the stadium. Having come from a small town in Ohio, I have never ridden in a cab so I was cautious about it, but we agreed it has to be safer than calling an Uber in an unknown city. "I'm not sure how to 'hail a cab'" I say while we just stand on the curb in front of the hotel watching the cars zoom by. I start holding my arm out, thinking this would be the best way to catch a passing cabs attention. "You'll be waiting all day if you plan to catch a cab by just sticking your arm out." We turn around and one of the bellhops was standing at the door looking at us laughing. "I've never done this before. Can you tell me the best way to get a cab to stop?" I reply shyly with my head down. He just smiles while waving for us to follow him while saying, "Come back inside and ask the receptionist at the front desk to call a cab for you. She will have one pick you up right out front." While walking, he notices my sisters shirt and says, "I'm guessing you're here for the BTS concert, hmm? This is a 100% BTS hotel for the next few days, if you know what I mean, so the receptionist will be glad to help you out." Then he winked at us. It made me a little uncomfortable, seeing as I don't know him, but shrugged it off to him being 'extra nice.' I thank him for his help and head to the front desk. The receptionist happily called a cab for us and it arrived in less than 10 minutes. While getting in, I look back at the young man and wave while saying, "thank you again for all your help!" He smiles back and tells us to have a great time.

After about 20 minutes we pull up in front of the stadium. We get out and Kayla pays the driver while we both thank him for the ride. "Ella.......we're here. We're actually here." My sister says while we both just stand and stare at all the flags adorning the members profiles that lined the sidewalks around the stadium. We could also hear Permission To Dance playing through multiple speakers throughout the exterior. "We're here sis." We both look at each other, smile and squeal, grab each other's hands, and run like idiots toward all the different booths set up everywhere.