Chapter Sixteen- Maaldamir's Wish

A'Miza

A'Miza

The sun came in through the window, bright and hot. It felt like a new sun, not one I'd ever felt before. As if the new day was the first-day earth has ever experienced. It felt anew, and I didn't understand why. Sure, I lay in bed between both of my parent's like I'm a child in need of their protection from the fictional monster that crept on my dark floors or in my dark closet. This was different. They were in my bed because, for one, it's very big. But also because this is their feeble attempt at protecting me from a monster I never told them I was afraid of...I've been trying to explain to them that Zurich isn't what we all thought. Well better yet, he is exactly who we all knew he was, but he's also much more than that.

Since my parents have been here, roughly two days now. I've seen him in passing. He's come to the room a few times to just ask if everyone and everything is okay. He's given my parents time to adjust and has left me with them...I guess to tell them everything and get them comfortable. Mother has had the hardest time accepting my new living situation. She...apparently, got the news that I came to the prince's defence back at Winone and was basically outcasted. She knew then my life would be in danger as she heard about the uprising from a few of their friends that joined. This was the first I was hearing of a war impending- Donatus against Donatus. Those who support the crown and those wanting a change of government. It was all a mess. Most people aren't choosing a side with just reason from my understanding. Thousands of years ruling all Donatus in the shadows and we've never truly had an uprising. I can't think of why Siane and Dubois would do this? According to mom, this has been in the works before either Siane was even born.

They remain neutral she says...neutral because they've never been political people. Also, because I've chosen a default side, they would be forced to as well.

At the moment, we are all sitting around a table and chair set up on the balcony and having breakfast. Since my arrival "human food" was purchased and prepared thrice a day for me by Josephine. For a crab, she sure could cook. I'm not gonna lie though, the fact that they call it "human food" kinda throws me off. If I were to think of it too deeply, I'd like that shit to how we say "cat food", "dogfood" etcetera. But I'd rather not. I'm not the first human they've lived with I hear, so I guess no one saw anything wrong with it, so I won't start a civil rights protest over it. I watched as mom and dad ate their oatmeal in an odd silence. Back home you'd never be able to quiet them. They were by every bit of how you'd imagine nerds to look and act. Mom obsessing about how recycling is barely helping climate change and trying to figure out a better way- trust me, she's even tried going vegan and only going places she could walk to. She's a whole nut. Dad, he's very much into literature--specifically, history texts. He's fascinated by how the fibres of the past wove into today's society but are still so stumped on how so many countries could be in a recession today. I mean he knows how, he just still can't believe it. It was charming really. My parents are obsessed with knowledge, constantly trying to figure the world out and save it. Given that they are both highly educated in a Pilot, they never ran out of things to talk about. Whether it be mom figuring out how to maximize on a car's engine giving your maximum speed and using less gas or dad freezing the entire plane's passengers just so he can get through a thunderstorm and turbulence he saw coming up without anyone panicking unnecessarily and having anxiety attacks. They're very good people. Sometimes I wish I did come from them biologically, but I got what I needed to from them just being my parents and raising me. My biological parents were killed when I was a baby. Some freak accident with their house blowing up because of a propane leak. I was one. And by some luck, I was with Jada, my now mother, for the weekend to give them some time alone. I have pictures, mostly of my bio-mother since she and my mom were best friends. When the accident happened, mom and dad were newly married and were trying for a baby and thought babysitting me would help them practice. I know their faces, and their names Maxwell and Jada McNeal. According to the stories of all the family friends and people from our faction, they were amazing people. Powerful. Always helping people in our little community of Giza. The majority of the people in Giza are Maleficus and from the same ancestral connection. We are all a family there. I suddenly felt a heat in my head as I thought about the fact that they are all going to war.