Chapter 17. Love Hurts

Start from the beginning

"Now this is what I am talking about, the money man is in the house," Billy joked.

"Thats right, so get your ass up out of that chair because you ain't got shit left in your pocket," Jimmy told Billy. Everyone laughed at Billy.

Eric was winning and everyone who were happy to see him now felt desperation at him winning their hard-earned money.  Afterall Eric didn't need the money.  He was just playing the game for the fun of it. 

"Room for one more," said a woman's voice directly behind Eric. Eric looked up and  was shocked to see none other than  the beautiful Didi Rawlings staring right back at him.   

'What the fuck?'

"There is always room for a beautiful woman with money," Jimmy said licking his lips.

"Thank you, sir. It is always a pleasure to be in the company of hansom men who are  rich  and powerful," Didi said looking at Eric.

Billy got up and Didi took his chair.   Didi won the next game,  and it was downhill for Eric after that.  His winning streak was gone.  He just couldn't concentrate with Didi sitting there and giving him the eye.   And Jimmy couldn't stop laughing and telling Didi that she was welcome to join them anytime.  Eric decided to call it a night.  

"You leaving so soon?" Didi asked.

"Yep, ask them, I am a sore loser," Eric said.

"Wait up, can you give me a ride home?" Didi asked.

Eric looked at her.  "How did you get here?" he asked. 

"I drove but as you see, I had a few; you wouldn't want Jimmy here to arrest me for driving under the influence, would you?" Didi said.     

Eric looked to Jimmy and  Lloyd to bail him out, but the two ignored him by looking the other way. As he walked out with Didi in towed, he could hear them all laughing at him.   

                                                                                           <><><><><> 

Eric was gone every night for the next week.  If he wasn't playing poker, he was out jamming with his band members.   He would come home, spend time with Ericka then take off once she was down for the night and not come home until the wee hours of the morning.  Tanya waited up for him every night.  He could see Tanya's light as he drove up the winding driveway and it would not go off until he pulled up and stopped. She would never go to sleep until he was home.  He didn't understand why she would do that if all she felt for him was hate.

Tanya sat by the swimming pool watching the swimming instructor give Ericka her swimming  lessons.  With her pregnancy and a sprain ankle, it was a blessing to have a swimming pool right off the master suite where she could get her daily exercise in.  She thought that she would miss the life style that she had grown accustom to but leaving was worth her sanity.   Eric walked up behind her, hugged her and placed a kiss on her cheek.  She immediately pushed him away. Eric thought how serious she was. He missed her smile.

"Are you ever going to smile for me again?" he asked her.

Tanya didn't reply.

"Look I was thinking of inviting some people over; you could invite your friends and we could fire up the grill," Eric said.

"I don't care what you do," Tanya said.

"I am trying Tanya," Eric said.

She looked up at hm.

"Really Eric? How do you try? By being out every night doing what you do best?" she asked. It was good to know that what he did bothered her. He thought at least she still cared.