"What?" he answered as a greeting. "Today? No. Tell them—No, tell them to move it to a later date. Put them on my desk, I'll pick it up later. Alright." He threw the phone back on the couch before rubbing his eyes with both of his hands.

A slight stubble had started to appear on his face and Ava duly noted that it made him look even more handsome than he already was. With his hands on his knees, he pushed himself off the couch, taking a moment to steady himself before moving to walk back towards the stairs.

"Where are you going?" she asked. She'd unconsciously stood up at the same time as him but he shouldn't move around too much in the state he was in.

"I have to pick something up at the office."

"You can't possibly think about going all the way to your office when you have trouble walking up the stairs!"

"I fired my assistant a few days ago, I have to pick it up."

"Isn't there anyone else to bring it?"

"People have a job to do, it's super busy right now due to the merge."

"I'll pick it up, then." The words had left her mouth before she knew it but she didn't regret them. She'd rather step out of her comfort zone for a little bit than watch him suffer to get some papers.

"You don't know how to get there."

"I have an app."

"Right."

"I can do it."

"Are you sure?" he sighed in resignation. One look at his sad state made her resolution grow even more.

"Yes. It's fine, go lie back down."

She knew she couldn't appear at his office in her old jeans, so it was time to bust out the new clothes. She hadn't worn anything besides the coat and shoes but that was only because she didn't want to wear them out while working.

All the clothes were so pretty she didn't have to try that hard to look presentable. She didn't want to wear a skirt of any kind because of the cold but luckily there were pants that somewhat resembled his slacks, but more feminine.

She topped it off with a blouse and looked herself over in the mirror.

To her delight, the outfit looked good on her. What didn't delight her in the slightest was going into an unknown building and talk to people she didn't know.

Before leaving she stopped by him for one last time. "So, I should just bring the papers? Anything else?"

"No, Lucinda at the front desk will help you. She knows where they are so just follow her."

"Alright, I'll be right back, then," she said while turning away when he suddenly mumbled something. It was very low, and she wasn't sure if she was even meant to hear it. But it was just clear enough to make out. "You look really pretty," he'd mumbled, making her internally panic.

But when she looked back at him he'd already closed his eyes.

I must have misheard, she thought. It was the only explanation. Someone like him would never think that. He probably said something like 'I like Cincinnati '.

She quietly fled out the front door and out of the building. I have misheard, she repeated in her mind like a mantra to keep her grounded. If she didn't she'd go insane thinking about him.

Would it be possible for him to care about her that way? The chances were slim. But stranger things have happened before so a possibility would always be there.