18

Nepenthe; Something that can make you forget grief or suffering.

*•̩̩͙•̩̩͙  ˚*˚*•̩̩͙•̩̩͙

"So, where are we going?" I ask River once he gets in the car.

"It's a surprise."

"Eat dick," I mumble.

He chuckles but doesn't say anything else.

Knee socks by The Arctic Monkeys is playing right now while we sit in talking silence because music is still playing in the background so it isn't fully silence.

If you get what I mean.

"I like your hair." He blurts.

"Thank you." I feel my face flush.

I turn to look out the window like I always do but then I randomly feel River grab a piece of hair and it catches me off guard.

I look over at him but he's just driving with one hand while twirling a strand of my hair in his other one. "It's really soft too."

It seems he gets tired of that after some time and starts to play with the ring on my left hand that's on my index finger.

It doesn't bother me so I just let him.

Not long after, we pull up to the diner we always go to.

"Really?" I raise an eyebrow, "You couldn't just say we were coming here?" I ask.

"No, because then it would ruin the surprise." He shrugs.

He gets out and then comes to my side and opens the door for me and helps me out.

River intertwines his hand with mine and guides us to the door.

We find Aspen and Finn sitting at a booth by themselves which I'm a little confused on why when they said they had dates.

"Thought you guys had dates?" I ask them as I slide into the booth, River doing the same.

"They canceled," Finn says.

"Yeah, and now I'm stuck with him." Aspen gestures to Finn with a bored look on his face.

"It should be an honor that you're stuck with me."

I shake my head at their bickering and a server walks over causing them to stop.

"What can I get you guys to drink?" He asks, pulling out his notepad.

"Water."

"Lemonade."

"Water."

"Sprite."

I don't know if it was obvious but Finn got the Sprite while Aspen got the Lemonade.

"So, why exactly did we come here? Out of all places?" I ask the two opposite of us.

"We couldn't find anywhere fancy and this just seemed better." Finn shrugged.