07 | 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐍

TONY WAS stood in the kitchen washing up and putting away the dishes from the night before, taking the occasional peek out the window the to check on Morgan who was playing outside.

He smiled to himself at the sight of her running back over to her little tent, the memories of Carson helping her pitch it when he had come back to stay for a short while a few years ago starting to come back to him.

As he was putting back the dishes a picture on a shelf caught his attention. He reached over and grabbed the frame, giving it a quick wipe over with the cloth to clear the small sheet of dust that had formed.

Tony looked down at the picture with a smile. It had been taken by Clint the day that Carson had made his very own modification for Tony's suit by himself and showed the two of them stood next to the iron suit mid laughter along with Natasha crouched down in front of the suit giving a thumbs up.

The man let out a soft chuckle as he looked at Carson who was only sixteen in the photo. His hair was ruffled up with a pair of Tony's glasses sitting on top, an oily rag was slung over his shoulder, which left a stain on his lab coat that was still there to this day.

Pepper walked into the kitchen and instantly noticed the picture frame in his hand. She looked up at him with a sad smile and made her way over, looking at the picture now too.

"Have you tried calling him recently?" Pepper asked.

Tony let out a sigh. He knew that Pepper wanted him back home with them just as much as he did, but she tried to stay strong in front of him and Morgan.

Pepper loved it when Carson would come to visit, although she wished that it would be more of a permanent thing.

It always made her and Tony happy knowing that he was safe and that they could keep an eye on him. Especially after everything he'd been through. And he was always so good at looking after Morgan despite Carson thinking he was always doing a bad job with kids.

It was like when he was there, their little family was fully complete.

To them, it didn't matter that Carson wasn't blood related. Because no matter what he'd always be a son to them. Nothing could change that.

"No answer." Tony shook his head. "Straight to voicemail."

"Maybe he's just... busy." Pepper reasoned.

"Maybe he needs to charge his damn phone." Tony countered. "Kid's great with tech yet he can't seem to plug a charger in."

"He moves around a lot." Pepper shrugged.

"Well, he could get a portable one."

"It was their anniversary a few days ago." Pepper reminded him. "We both know that this time is always harder for him, so maybe he just needs a little bit of time."

Tony let out a sigh before nodding in agreement. "Yeah, you're right. I'll try again in a few days."

Pepper kissed his cheek. "I can finish the dishes, why don't you go bring Morgan inside and I'll make her some lunch."

"You don't trust me with your plates do you?" Tony raised a brow, faking an offended tone.

Pepper rolled her eyes and started putting the plates away, laughing softly. "No, no I don't. Now go and get your daughter."

Tony laughed and made his way outside, looking around for Morgan as he walked out onto their front garden. The sound of giggling coming from the tent grabbed his attention and he started to walk over.