14 | 𝐀 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐕𝐄

THE TEAM, well what was left of them, all made their way into the compound. None of them uttering a word. Instead, uncomfortable silence filled the air, all that could be heard was the shuffling of feet and occasional sighs from some or the wincing from from Rhodes.

Carson unclipped his tactical belt that still held some of his weapons and tossed it over the side of the couch as he walked through the room. Tony quickly caught up to him and joined his side but Carson continued walking, not showing any signs of slowing down for him.

"Are you just gonna keep walking and ignore me then?" Tony asked in an amused tone to try and lighten the mood but when he saw the unimpressed look on Carson's face he dropped it. "Alrighty then... too soon for joking I guess."

Carson sighed and stopped walking, turning to look at Tony. "What?"

Tony paused for a moment, slightly surprised that he was actually talking to him. "What do you mean, 'what?' "

"What do you want Tony? Why are you hovering?"

"I just want to talk to you! Y'know, considering the whole trip back you've not said a word to me, barely looked at me." Tony said. "It's rather annoying."

Carson sighed and ran a hand through his hair as Tony continued his ranting and rambling. He understood where he was coming from, he did, but at the end of the day it didn't change the fact that he lied. Right to his face.

"You can't hate me forever bud."

"Hate you— What? I don't hate you Tony." Carson furrowed his brows.

"Wow, really? So this is how you treat people you like?" Tony shrugged. "Man I feel sorry for Wanda if that's the case."

Carson rolled his eyes at Tony's response. "You just... you lied to me Tony, for your own benefit. And you expect me to just forget about it? Just like that?"

"Yeah, well." Tony paused. "What about you, huh? That stunt you pulled back at the airport with Rhodes. Do you expect me to forget about that?"

"So it looks like we've both fucked up today then, hm?" Carson responded nonchalantly before turning to continue walking down the hall.

"Look I'm sorry alright?" Tony mumbled, making Carson stop and turn around again with a huff. "I really am, I shouldn't of lied to you. But I had no other choice!" Tony told him, his voice louder than intended. "If I didn't then Ross would've—"

"Ross?" Carson scoffed. "Since when did you become Ross' lap dog?"

Before Tony could say anything, Natasha appeared at Carson's side, looking between the two with an eyebrow raised.

"Okay, time out. Tony you go check on Rhodes." Natasha said, sliding her arm around Carson's and pulling him down the hall with her as she started walking. "And you, you're with me."

"We'll talk about this later!" Tony said over his shoulder as he reluctantly started walking away.

"Oh great!" Carson responded sarcastically, earning a nip on his arm from Natasha. "Ow... that was rude."

"More like deserved." Natasha rolled her eyes as she walked herself and Carson down the hallway, their arms still linked. "Honestly, you both act like children. Extremely stubborn and annoying children."

"Now wait a minute..." Carson faux frowned. "Does this mean I'm not your favourite anymore?"

Natasha looked up at him and narrowed her eyes at him for a few second before softening up her facial expressions, letting out a defeated sigh which made Carson smirk. "Shut it."