"Right. Yes, of course."

"So will you do it?"

She nodded while trying to keep in her excitement.

"Good, excellent. I'll book your tickets then, you can go pack," he said while turning away, obviously satisfied with her answer.

Before he could walk away, something occurred to her. "Um, George?" she asked, making him turn back around to face her with an expectant look. "Hm? Yes?"

"How long will I be there for? I'll have to return these now if it takes too long," she said while gesturing to the bag filled with books.

This made the man scratch the top of his thinly-haired head while he thought about it. "I don't know, actually. I'll ask Lauren to return them for you, then. I'm sorry you didn't get to read them,' he said apologetically.

"No worries, I'll just read them when I come back," she assured him. She didn't want to make him feel bad, especially since it didn't really have anything to do with him.

If I come back, the small voice in her head corrected, which she tried to ignore.

"Yes, of course. Well, I'm off to get your ticket then. Don't forget to pack your phone."

"I won't," she replied to his retreating figure. She looked at him a little longer before it set in.

She was going to New York City! Only now she realized where she was going and excitement ran through her. She'd heard so much about the large city but never had the opportunity to visit it.

Not that she would have much time to explore, but still. As long as she could catch a glimpse here and there.

She knew she didn't have to pack much, but she still needed some time to charge the phone so she quickly made her way back to the room.

Her small bag was filled in no time and she decided to wash her work uniform and bedsheets in the meantime in case she was let go while away. She didn't want to burden Lauren or George with that task.

While unloading the washing machine George returned holding up a white envelope. "Here's your ticket," he said while holding it out to her. "I hope you don't mind leaving tonight already, I know it's your day off."

"No, that's fine, George. Thank you."

"You're very welcome. I'll drive you to the airport then after dinner."

"Sounds good to me."

"Alright, see you later then."

"Later, George."

The weight of the envelope in her hand called to her and she couldn't resist taking a peek at the ticket. After carefully taking it out she inspected it. JFK airport, NYC. She could almost smell the city already she was so excited to go.

It was close to dinner time, yet the minutes crawled by. She almost ran into the dining room when the clock reached the right time but slowed herself at the last minute. No need to be in a hurry now.

Eating was hard when she was as excited as she was, but she didn't want to get hungry on the plane so she made herself eat while Lauren told her about what to expect from the city. Ava tried to retain as much information as she could but she was sure to forget at least a few things.

George excused himself after dinner to get ready to take her to the airport and she took the opportunity to take the phone off the charger and turn it on again.

As soon as the device had started up the notifications started coming in.

11.30: Missed call from Sébastien