Chapter 14

Jenelle

"Come on! You said you would be ready." Natasha whines as I finish up my paperwork.We're having drinks tonight and I told her I would meet her there but instead she chose to come to the shelter.This place is my baby and I'm always happy when I can get a woman,man or child out of an abusive home.

I've been making donations here for years as an anonymous donor because I know they won't take my money if I offered.I became the director here after five years and the shelter has grown in that time.I honestly needed the shelter more than it needed me because I didn't know how to be normal for a time.Kiah and Nat kept me going but I needed a purpose.I was surprised Nat felt the same and would volunteer here along with her job as a guidance counselor.She decided that was sher path because of a woman who inspired her when she was in school.

"Kiah will be at brunch tomorrow." I look up surprised.Kiah has definitely been avoiding us and I was saddened but didn't want to bother her if she needed space. Nat tells me she showed up at her job and she agreed but we need to talk.I sigh knowing from the moment Angelo called we would need to discuss our past.The last time Angelo called or texted was five years ago when he thought someone was digging into the family's past.Word was they didn't find our bodies but he set up fake communication that after the ambush we were taken then killed.

Before that our previous communication was when  Kiah started killing more and I was scared she was turning into her father but also that she would be taken from me if she's caught.Angelo tracked her and found where she disposed of the bodies. He said she tried to be thorough but she left evidence that could get her caught so he kept his eye on her movements for a short time.When he saw he wasn't needed he left but urged me to get her help and told me the Ambrossio took pills to control his tendencies.I never saw him take them and they obviously didn't work.

Nat flips over on my office couch and I know she's about to complain gain."Are you-" she and I freeeze when we hear shouting from outside the building followed by the faint sounds of gunfire.She and I eye each other as I grab my gun out my bag and enter the code for my safe to grab another.Nat already has her gun and she pulls a knife from her bag.After what we went through we worked hard to get stronger and we always carry our weapons.Angelo gave us the unlicensed weapons because we always need to be on alert if an enemy finds us.Based on what we here outside I think they finally did.

The gunfire outside ceases and I stare at Nat.
"We'll be trapped if we stay in the office." She nods and slowly opens the door then signals for me to come.We stay low as we enter the office space and stop behind a desk when we hear heavy footsteps.The reflection of the office window glass shows six armed men in vests and they're faces are covered.I take a deep breath before counting and tap Nat to signal it's time.As the men are about to walk to our hiding place I start firing hitting one in the head and the other in his shoulder.The men don't hesitate to fire their machine guns as Nat and I duck.

We slide under another desk and she starts firing and I hear a thud.Their vests make it difficult to take them out quickly.
"How much?" I ask as she peeks up before another round of shots are fired.
"Four but one is wounded." I nod and tell her limbs and headshots as they start flipping the desks to find us.
"Come out you fucking bitches!" One yells.

We crawl to another desk and I see an opening with one of the men.All bronze and no brain.I fire taking him out as Natasha shoots another in the knee then his head.
" I'm running low Jenelle." She says but we still have two and one is wounded.I see the fire alarm and decide that's our way to end this so I aim and hit it triggering the alarm.The men look around confused and Nat sneaks up behind the wounded man and slit his throat then grabs his gun shooting the other.

I stand and look around the now destroyed office saddened at the state it's in and knowing deep down that this could be the end of the life we grew to love.
We hear muffled talking and I bend and see the man has an ear piece and I put it to me ear
"Is the job done? Do you need back up?"

Natasha comes over and listens to the man speaking in a Russian accent.
"Nat we need to leave before more comes." She nods and we run back to the office to get our bags and I need my cell to call Angelo.We carefully leave the office and walk to the back door where my car is parked.

We hear sirens in the distance but what halts our steps is heavy feet running.Shit! We turn and run back inside deciding to use the front.
"My car is close to the cafe we can make it." She says as we pick up the men's guns.We stand at the door listening.I can't tell how many.I dial Angelo knowing that he said he should be in town and I need his help.He tells me to get out and make it to a small airfield.I let Nat know as we check the guns .

With a deep breath we run outside and the first shot is fired.
"Fuck!" Nat screams and holds her shoulder.I put her behind a car and start firing.The sirens get louder and I drag Nat with me as I fire at the men.She switches her gun to her left hand and fires back.
"Nat  the car.She hands me her purse and I start searching for her keys.If we didn't have the parked cars cars giving us cover we would be dead.We get to her car and she slides into the back as I move to the driver side.Her window is hit as I pull off.I turn left avoiding the cops while looking if any car is following.

"Nat you good?" She groans before giving me a thumbs up." We need to ditch your car" Nat has a blue bmw and they definitely saw it before we drove off.

I pull up to a gas station and see a man in a small car.Looking at the key I know what to do."Nat put your sweater on that's on the seat I'll be back."
I walk up to the man and offer him the keys in exchange for his car.He stares at me skeptical of the offer.
"I swear it's not a trick the paperwork is even inside.I run back to the car and grab them to show him.He finally gives in and hands us the keys."

I get my stuff and help Nat out of the car.The stranger stares at her pained face but doesn't say anything as I help her inside the car that smells of liquor and cigarettes.I start the engine and stare back as the man leaves and I feel guilty.I hope he doesn't get killed.

I pull up to the private airfield and see a large jet.Its not guarded so I'm on alert and tell Nat to do the same.Someone steps into the entrance and I point my gun as Nat leans on me for support.
"It's me Jenelle let's go." Angelo says and I make my way up the steps.

We enter and see Kiah and she runs up and hugs us.
"Ow." Nat groans and Kiah pulls back.Angelo tells me we're taking off immediately then he can remove the bullet.We nod as we sit in our seats and Kiah is glued to me.No matter how old she is she still is mummy's babygirl.

When we're in the air Angelo gets the medical box which is surprisingly filled with sealed medical devices.He injects Nat in her shoulder numbing the area and we hand her a small bottle of tequila which she chugs. Angelo removes the bullet then stitches and bandages the wound.He was efficient with his movement and  forgot he's had practice with the life he lived and from living with Sylvia for awhile

"Now can you tell us what the hell is going on." Kiah says looking annoyed.Angelo sighs and removes his phone.I frown as I stare at the picture

"Ambrossio?" I say out loud and Nat looks just as shocked.