Chapter 56

Maisie's POV

It had took over a week for the police to find out where Zayn was being held. They planned to go there three weeks after he first went missing and get him out of that hell hole. He was being held in a old abandoned building that wasn't too far away from our home.

They allowed me and the boys to tag along but only if we stayed in the police van at all times. I think we all knew that Liam and I weren't going to do that but nobody mentioned it or complained about it. Probably because they knew that they weren't going to stop us no matter what was said to us.

* * *

We pulled up outside of the huge building, blue and red lights flashing everywhere. I'd never saw or understood the point in putting the lights and sirens on when they are doing this sort of thing. Surely they want to surprise the criminal, not give them a heads up that they are on their way so that they can escape.

The police were ready to enter with guns and everything. They even called the FBI all the way from America to come and help them. This was a very rare occurrence but they were dealing with one of the most famous people in the world so I suppose it was an important operation. Liam and I stayed in the van for a little while watching the police waiting to enter the building, probably waiting for the command from their chief.

It was so nerve racking. I eventually got too impatient and pulled the van door open running out to the front of the crowd. If they were there, why couldn't I be there? I pushed through the people so I could get a clear view of what was going on. There was yellow police tape stopping me from going any further. Doesn't yellow police tape usually mean something bad has happened?

I looked around but didn't notice any casualties. Moments later a large man exited the building, using Zayn as his own human body guard. Zayn was obviously trying to get out of his grip but it wasn't working at all. The man must of been at least six feet tall and had a load of bulging muscles. He was no match for Zayn. Zayn was strong but also skinny at the same time. The man held a knife at Zayn's throat. I wasn't religious but I prayed to God, if there was one, to not let Zayn die. That couldn't happen.

The guy holding Zayn looked kind of nervous. He should be, Liam was here and Zayn was his best friend. He better look out. Liam soon joined me. He hadn't realised what was going on until I pointed it out. He really should work on them observation skills. He's been told about it before. You could place a huge, pink elephant right in front of him and he wouldn't notice.

I could physically see the anger boiling up inside of Liam and Zayn too. Zayn tried to wriggle from the guys grip once again, this time the man held the knife even closer to Zayn's skin, almost drawing blood.

Seconds later two gunshots were fired. But who were they from?

Everybody looked around at each other, looking for hints of who it was. Liam grabbed on to me and hugged me tightly while we ducked down. Then a second criminal emerged from the old building. He hand a gun in his hands and was threatening the police to shoot Zayn. Tears were already begging to fall. Liam and I held on to each other as we watched anxiously.

He looked in to my eyes, tears forming in his eyes too. I knew why he was looking at me like this. He was my boyfriend, my one true love. He wanted me to tell him that everything was going to be okay but I couldn't. I couldn't make a promise that I couldn't keep. How was I supposed to know how this was going to end?

I looked away from him and continued to watch the horrific scene that was right in front of my eyes. That was when Liam let go of my hand and walked away from me. Where the hell was he going? He couldn't leave, not now. I quickly glanced between Liam and Zayn, wondering what to do. Did I go after my boyfriend who probably wasn't going to go far or stay and make sure his best friend made it out alive? I decided on staying and making sure Zayn was going to be okay.

Our eyes met for a second. I saw something that I'd never saw in Zayn's eyes before. I saw fear. He looked petrified, I would be too. His eyes stayed locked with mine. I heard another gun shot, a gasp coming from everyone watching this. The press were already here. It was on the news, the internet, everywhere.

The man holding the knife fell to the ground, but so did Zayn.

What. Happened.

Both bodies lay life less on the wet ground, neither of them moving, it had been raining all day until now. Now the rain had quit, there wasn't a cloud in the sky, just the bright stars shining down, also watching in a way. A number of police officers pounced on the other guy, placing silver metal hand cuffs around his wrists.

My attention turned back to Zayn. He was being lifted on to a stretcher while the other guy, who I assumed was dead, was being placed into a black body bag. At least it was him and not Zayn. I ducked under the tape and ran as fast as I could over to Zayn, many officers trying to block my way. As two uniformed men stood in front of me, I stood on my tip-toes looking over their shoulders. He was being lifted in to an ambulance. His eyes were open and he was moving. Thank goodness.

"Zayn!" I practically screamed.

"Maisie!" He shouted back. "Let her through please,"

The two men moved out of my way, apologising. I ran over. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm so glad to see you, I thought I'd never see anybody I loved again. Watch the shoulder," he replied. I hugged him tightly, him hugging me back. Then I realised what had happened. Somebody had shot through Zayn's shoulder to kill the other guy. Rude, but at least Zayn was still alive.

They patched Zayn up there and then, saying he could come home with us straight away. I was happy with that. All they needed was a statement from Zayn but they said that could wait until tomorrow.

I tried to find Liam but couldn't. I tried ringing his phone but, no answer. Oh well. Zayn rode home with the other three lads and I. I was glad that he was okay and so were the others.