Chapter 42

Harry's POV

"They're all dated, the dates start about a year ago. It's his handwriting too. What the hell is going on?" I sighed as I told Maisie and Liam.

"I have no idea but we need to get to the bottom of this. It's not fair on us if this is just a joke," Maisie said. Liam and I agreed with her. "I think we should tell Simon, we can't deal with this on our own,"

"We should tell Lou and Niall first," Liam said.

"Yeah, definitely," Maisie agreed.

* * *

"Who would do this?" Louis sighed shaking his head. "Surely we've been through enough without all of this too. Where's the note that was with it?"

"Here," I replied as I handed it over. He slowly read through it a couple of times, taking in all of the information, passing it over to Niall afterwards. None of us could understand why somebody would want to put us through even more pain. Louis was right, we have been through enough. Dealing with Zayn's death was hard enough for us, we didn't need this too.

Liam, Maisie and I decided to take a walk later in the day. We'd already called Simon but he was unavailable so we had to leave a message on his answering machine. It would probably be a couple of days before he got back to us, he's a very busy man.

Liam and I sat in the booth at our local café while Maisie was getting us some drinks. I asked how things were going with Maisie and I wanted to know how on earth he managed to get her. No offense to Liam but Maisie is way out of his league. She's out of everybody's league. She's very beautiful and Liam is lucky to have her.

Everybody seems to be in love her but to be honest I'm not in love with her. I see her more as a little sister. I must admit, Liam and Maisie do look cute together though.

"It's going great," he smiled proudly. He turned his head and looked at the counter where Maisie was ordering our drinks. She was smiling and talking to the woman behind the cash register. "There's that killer smile,"

"I'm happy for you bro, good luck. I hope everything works out well for you, you deserve it," I smiled.

"You got any women at the moment? I would say girls but you and I both know you like the older woman," he replied giving me a small nudge. I just laughed in return.

"No, I think I've given up on women at the moment," I replied shaking my head. He laughed.

"Oh my gosh did the Harry Styles just say he's given up on women?" He said jokingly.

"Shut up,"

"Are you being mean to Harry again, Liam?" Maisie said as she placed the tray of drinks on the table.

"Yes, he is," I replied. She laughed and hit his arm playfully. She took a seat next to Liam and started to place each of our drinks in front of us.

"Tar babe," Liam thanked her as she handed him the change from the drinks.

"So what are we going to do about all of this Zayn stuff?" Maisie asked.

"I'm not sure, 'cause if Simon doesn't help us it's just us on our own. But either way we're going to have to get to the bottom of this. That note said that Zayn could be alive, what if he is? We have to find out," Liam said. He was definitely hurting. They were so close, I'm surprised at how well he dealt with everything.

"I don't know, maybe we should just leave it," I shrugged my shoulders. Maybe it would be better if we left the past in the past. We'd just got back to normal and this was just causing us all to be depressed again. I don't want to see all my friends go through this again.

Liam shot me a look of death. Maybe I shouldn't of said that, "I just thought it would be for the better, you know, leave the past in the past," I explained. He continued to look at me, making me slightly uncomfortable.

"Somebody gives us a note saying our best friend could be alive and you just want to leave it?" He said raising his voice.

"We've only just got back to normal, I--" I was cut off.

"No, Harry, you just don't care, do you?" He started to shout.

"Liam, calm down," Maisie tried to calm him down. It worked for about four seconds. I stood up, grabbing my coat and bag.

"Well sorry but I do care, that's the problem. I'm too busy caring about you, I didn't want you to go through this again because I know how much it hurt you last time, but you obviously don't care about anybody else's feelings but your own," I argued back.

"Why don't you just go home, you're not wanted here. You don't even care about our best friend dying, I don't even know you anymore. You've changed, a lot."

I didn't say anything back, I knew that I would regret it if I did. I left the café immediately. I walked back home thinking about what had just happened. I can't believe he would be so cold-hearted. He obviously didn't care about the rest of our feelings and how we felt about this.

Usually I would be the first to apologize but this time, I wasn't going to back down. He was in the wrong. I understand that he wants Zayn back but there's no need to act like that.