35

a/n: hey, sorry i've been absent, been busy with school and all the other boring stuff that comes in the life package. but decided to give y'all a chapter because i've been MIA since like november or something. hope you guys enjoy the chapter though! xoxo :)

i present to you...

"an out"

narrator's pov

"DERYAH"

his eyes went wide as he and blaise both reached out to catch her but missed her hand by an inch.

her body seemed to fall so fast, that they had no time to think of what they should do, but for her, time had only slowed.

deryah's pov

time seemed to have stopped or maybe even slowed, as the wind brushed against my back, leaving me to wonder how close i had gotten to the ground.

i could only hear the echo of the worry in his voice when he called my name. both of their faces peering over the edge of the tower before i watched them disappear, most likely going to get help.

they worried too much. i made them worry. i hated that i made them worry. seeing them anxious only made me more anxious. there was never a clear balance.

ever since dad passed it had been even more unbalanced. they all seemed to walk on eggshells, and if they weren't walking on eggshells, they were just as quiet and frowned just as much as me. it was even more depressing.

blaise not only brooded now, but he just tended to have this sullen look on his face. sure, draco smiled, but it was broken and fake; it almost felt like absolute pity.

i felt like it was my fault; the whole mood in our group had changed and it was my fault. i was at fault; i was this black hole, draining every inch and grain of happiness i could find, not caring who was in my path.

maybe this was what would get things back to normal, if this followed through, this might actually change for the better i told myself. i'd get to see dad again, it would all be okay.

i'll be okay

he'll be okay

they'll be okay

i repeated these words hoping i could blink away the tears, and suddenly, it all felt numb and i kept looking up to the sky, seeing one last shooting star.

i remember seeing the wind gush through draco's blonde hair as he ran back to see me before everything went black.

waking up, the sun was out and i had a hell of a headache. sitting up slowly, i looked around in confusion trying to figure out where i was. the location seemed to be brighter and more colorful than the one i last remembered.

the breeze was slight and sent a small chill up my spine, urging for me to stretch my back. following my body's request, i stood up as slow and steady as i could, still trying to get a feel of my surroundings. the place felt all so familiar yet so foreign; maybe i had been here in a dream i told myself. there was a small stream with a mini rock path dividing its waters. the reflection of the sun glistened upon the water showing the entire scene within its minuscule waves.

looking up from the water, and letting my eyes correctly adjust to the light, i had noticed a very large oak tree. it was breath-taking. the bark had its fair share of age with the stories of its cracks and crevices. and the leaves...the leaves lived how one would usually desire. they moved freely with the wind, and had no other job but to be pretty and run their course. they hadn't the burden of worrying about the present or the future, they just moved with the winds; freely and smoothly.