31

a/n: hope you guys enjoy this chapter! part two will be posted shortly! also i don't remember if i thanked you all for letting me hit 10K reads, but it's too late, so i'll thank you for that and 11K as well ! :) i love you guys so much and thank you for all of the support <3

i present to you....

"demise (part one)"

lafayette's pov

*two months later*

doctors were no help, it was too late to try anything new. healers couldn't even find the magic in their will powers to even try. this parasite known as cancer had made its home in my organs, weakening me with each passing second. it felt as though the doctors and healers had only shown up to tease us. every time one of them stopped by, it was a bitter reminder that there was nothing left for them to do; i was just dying slowly, painfully.

the muggle doctor, my close friend that had diagnosed me, came to visit for a week. he had allowed me to stay in my own bed, which was a relief for everyone. everyone knew that i would have thrown a fit if he had me to be transferred to sleep on such a flimsy excuse of a mattress made of old foam, plastic and rusted metal springs.

it was all a lot at once. if i was being honest, i had grown angry. my attitude was very pissy, and very impatient. though i hadn't meant to do it, i had somewhat shunned deryah. besides her coming to read to me for an hour each night, i would use one of my famous one-word or one-liners to keep decent company. the thing that pissed me off the absolute most, was my age. 'i'm in my fucking late thirties and i'm already dying. thirty six! thirty six...there is no reason why i should be dying. i might as well have let voldemort take me out.' when i thought no one was listening, i had always grumbled and complained, but i guess everyone heard it all. and they all knew that i was just in pain and that i never really meant any of it; i was upset that i had to leave the woman that i loved so dearly, and the daughter i had wanted to watch grow up to be great, so early.

i knew that my time was almost up, but i still never let go of the sass and sour humor i had.

and now, everyone was at my damn house. i thought it was funny how neighbors or coworkers came to drop off flowers and chocolates as though i would even be able to enjoy any of it. a lot of my food had never been fully eaten because of the god awful metallic taste the chemo had stained on my tongue. it tasted as though i had been sucking on an empty fork all day, very unappetizing.

i thought my death felt like a ritual. flowers surrounding the shelves around my bed, candles that i couldn't smell being lit everyday for two hours or so, and everyone surrounding me.

i had to admit that i had had a good run though. thirty six years had seemed like such a somewhat long, yet short while. it wasn't fair...life wasn't fair. it made me laugh because i had always asked my dad why such horrible things had always happened to the best of us; he never really had an answer.

i was completely exhausted, out of breath, just...tired. my stomach and lungs felt as though they were being weighed down. but most of the irritating weight resided in my stomach, whilst an almost burn like tingling sensation played with my lungs. it was hilarious to me, because even though my stomach felt completely heavy, there was nothing in it. it was definitely empty. food went through me as though there was an actual hole in my stomach.

i told myself i could die in peace, my time would come, and i would be gone. but first, i would give the world to not only my wife, but my daughter. i had a big plan for my wife, child, grandchildren; yet, here i was, bedridden and not because of old age. in my mind, i had told myself that i had only managed to give elizabeth the world, leaving me to think that i had failed deryah; i was disappointed in myself. that was until she had come to visit me the other night.