Now she understood what he meant by 'it's lunchtime', he hadn't eaten yet.

Reluctantly, she followed him inside, unsure of what she should do. She could barely remember the last time she'd eaten in a restaurant and was scared she'd do something weird. 

As soon as they entered a waiter made his way over to them, a tall but lanky boy who couldn't be much older than seventeen. His curly hair hung in his face but was just short enough to not cover his eyes. "Mr. Chastain," he greeted politely as he approached.

"Ian," Mr. Chastain greeted back. It seemed that he really did know everyone in town, and everyone knew him. 

They were led towards a table next to the windows, much to Ava's delight. This way she could look outside to the people walking by which would keep her mind busy. She quietly sat down opposite of Mr. Chastain while he talked to the waiter about some other person, presumably a family member of the boy.

She didn't want to listen in, especially since she didn't know the person they were talking about but her ears perked up when she heard him ask about what drinks they'd like. Mr. Chastain looked at her as if to say 'you go first' so she asked for water.

It felt a little lame to order water in a restaurant that had all kinds of drinks, but when Mr. Chastain ordered the same she felt better about her choice. When the boy left Mr. Chastain turned to her and she suddenly realized she'd have to actually talk to him.

Before she could internally panic about what to say he'd already spoken. He never seemed to have the same troubles speaking to people as she did, and she envied him for it.

"So what do you do at the library every Friday?" he asked while leaning back casually. He seemed completely comfortable at this place, like it was his second home or something.

"I read books," she said without thinking. When she realized how stupid that sounded she quickly added, "And I talk about them with Everly. And now Jane too, I suppose."

"So, you get books from the library but I've also seen you get books from the library back home. How fast do you go through them?"

"Pretty fast," she said slightly embarrassed. "I usually read after my shifts and during my breaks."

"Don't you have other hobbies?"

"Not really."

"Why not?"

"Hobbies usually require things to do them with, like with painting you need all sorts of items like paint and paintbrushes, a canvas and maybe an easel. I can't carry all that with me when I have to leave."

He frowned at that but quickly wiped it off his face and she wasn't sure if that was something he did out of reflex or on purpose.

"Have you ever painted before?"

"I used to, but it was a very long time ago so I'm sure I forgot how to," she laughed lightly. "What about you?"

"What about me?"

"What are your hobbies? Besides playing the piano." She was very curious about what his answer would be since she never saw him much at the estate.

"I like tennis," he said simply.

"I've never seen you play tennis before."

"I don't really have the time these days."

"Because of work?" she asked.

"Because of work," he confirmed while nodding.

"I thought George said you took your breaks at the estate, so why are you still working so much?"