The Longest Night

Chapter 49

Gloria

I wasn't an idiot.

Everything Noah said was true. Chester was a so special that it could withstand wave after wave of revenants. And I wasn't blind to see as soon as news that Haley had died many people are already calling it quits on Chester.

"Come on, Lilly", I said taking her hand. Just because Lily was a little special people assumed she didn't understand what was going on. But she had a better understanding of death than most.

"Bye bye, Haley", she whispered As we made our way out of the church. This is going to be a long night and I needed to work quick. Our only chance for survival is getting out of Chester while we still can.

I couldn't afford to grieve or be angry or feel anything other than not wanting my family to die in the most inhumane way. What was the point of Haley dying If we were just be joining her in a month. What was the point of her being a runner and risking everything if we didn't choose to survive.

I took Lily home and helped her get ready for bed. I checked on Mom who was still in her room still in a state of shock.

"Gloria?"

"Yeah?" I said looking up to Anna who should be asleep by now in white flannel pajamas.

"Where are you going?"

"To Laura's", I said going into newly remodeled kitchen. I grabbed a lantern and lit a match to guide my way. "Go back to bed".

"Are the revenant's going to get us?"

The question was like ice water being poured down my back. I looked up to her and in the loft area shaking ,"We're going to be fine. We always pull through".

"And winter?" Anna wasn't stupid either. It was Haley who took care of food and protection. And now that she was gone who did that responsibility fall to? Who could pick up that mantle that even our parents didn't dare touch?

"Hey, It's almost spring. I don't have to worry about winter---"

"Winter could last for another 5 weeks. And we're down to---"

"Anna, I promise you we're going to be okay. Pack a bag, and be ready to hit the road at first light".

"Are we going somewhere?"

By the grace of God,"I hope".

I grabbed my winter brown fur coat And made my way into the night. Out of all the stupid things I've done being out this late knowing that revenue could come at any moment was the stupidest. But Laura's house wasn't that far. I would double back and hit Marc's house then with any luck Samuel and Jackson would be drunk at the bar making them easier to convince. If I didn't have my siblings on board with this plan Dad was just going to shut it down, he would be the last person I talked to tonight. And judging by the light and open door of the barn that's where he was going to be tonight.

I pulled my coat close and quickly made my way to Laura's. I passed by a group of runners patrolling the streets who stop to give me their condolences and sad looks. I made it to Laura's in record timing. I knocked on her door,"Laura?"

"Coming, coming", Kevin said in a blue robe. I couldn't tell if I had woken him up from the redness in his eyes or if he had been crying.

"Is this a bad time?"

"A little".

"Too bad. I need to speak to Laura".

"Gloria, could you be a little less you right now? Laura's really in a bad space---"