Run

Chapter 35

Noah

My request for a transfer was approved with one condition. Neither one of us were going anywhere until POTUS got some pictures, and an interview she could broadcast to all of Therap. I wish I could say the interview went well. But Haley was nervous and we were in a time crunch. So even though the the interview was useless she did do what POTUS asked.

Haley was quiet most of the train ride. She was fixated on the night rolling hills and mountainside outside the window. Death trees covered the landscape with a flourish of cold colors. The train is a sweet meditation, feeling a the countryside pass as one masterpiece of art. We were in the first class private cart with mahogany wood embellishments and red velvet seats.

I felt silly worrying about her but it felt warranted. I didn't need her to tell me something was wrong. I could see it the way she stared at her feet. She was a thousand miles away but the world went on around her. I was fucking pissed Caroline had weaselled her way onto the train claiming we still had a Scarlett problem. Kiki was supposed to be in school but instead was sitting right next to me. And Eric and Mey had decided to tag along for whatever non-profit organization outreach program they were trying to set up.

"So where the fuck are we going?" Kiki asked in her new cargo blue jeans and camo Dri-Fit long sleeve top.

"You are going to Union station then immediately to Haley's parents home", I stated.

"Aren't you going?" Kiki said turning her attention from the window to me. She would never admit it but I could sense a little bit of her anxiety and her from leaving me.

"You guys can't be out at night. Do you know how far Union station is from Chester? You'll burn up", Mey pointed out stylishly dressed in a white mini ruffled puffy dress and black knee-high lace boots. It was probably high fashion but I couldn't tell.

"I would like to keep my skin on my body", Caroline huffed.

"There should be a blacked out truck for us to get to Chester. The same way every other vampire who's there did", Eric said dress similarly to me. He had the same black uniform only he had a red rogue pen on his lapel. He was used to working alone gathering information and checking on fallen sites. He must truly love Mey to do a complete 180.

"Great so at least we have a ride", Kiki said flopping down in her seat next to me. "The revenants can't kill but they can't catch".

"I can't go with you", Haley said looking up to the group.

"I knew you could talk but I thought you went mute for a second", Kiki said laughing at her own joke.

"I have to get to Mary's bridge and meet Nikolai. I don't have anything against you, but I can't associate with you once we get to Chester".

"What?!" I gasped.

"Why!?" Mey exclaimed. "Haley you're supposed to help bridge the gap between Evian and Therap!"

"Mey, I want to help you in Therap. I can't help you in Evian. I have a job to do and people have to trust me. I'm here to protect my family and my town first", Haley explained calmly. I don't understand what Haley was trying to do but I didn't mean it didn't feel like she just harpooned me through the chest.

"Where exactly are we going?" Caroline said sitting across from me as she crossed her arms.

"You're going to Chester. But I strongly suggest that Mey and Kiki coming to town separately. You're already going to be an outsider. Do you really want to be associated with the enemy?"