Two Days

Chapter 34

Noah

I was shaken awake from the best dream I could imagine. My mind liked to wander to the possible futures Haley and I could have; what would Haley look like carrying my child, what would our children look like, what places would we travel to. My brain head unlimited imaginations to all of my questions. "Noah, wake up".

Wiping the sleep form my eyes I rounded over expecting Haley to be in bed with me only to find her space empty. I rolled on to the other side and saw her standing over me. She was dressed like she was leaving with her black boots, matching cargo pants, grey tank top and wind breaker jacket with a full backpack. "What? What's happened?"

I sat up confused.

"I have to go home", yet we talked about it for a second.

"Right now?" I panicked.

"Yes, Nikolai called me. He's my help", she stated and offering any more information.

"Why you? Why can't he get some else? What about the tour? POTUS? The rebels? Your government?" I need Jesus this isn't something you do randomly decide.

"I'll be fine. I'm a Runner by trade. I can get in and out of Therap without anyone even knowing".

"But, I can't..." My statement hung heavy in the air.

"I know...I really know. I have five days to meet Nikolai. I gave him my word I'd be there and I don't plan on breaking it. He wouldn't have asked me if he didn't specifically need me".

"Okay, when will you be back?"

"I don't know", I could feel my heart being ripped in two. "But you could come to Chester come polar night? And I can call you every night". Yes, we could do those things. But I wanted to wake up with Haley next to me, I wanted to keep her safe in Therap, I thought we would start making a family,"I know it's not ideal. But what's a couple of months when apparently we have forever?"

"We don't know if you're immune to a remnant bite, how long can you actually stay out in the sun, and what happens when you have a craving for blood".

"I'm figuring out as I go".

"You're putting yourself in danger", I warned,"The people that you're trying to protect will turn on you the second thing you know---"

"Then I won't let them find out", She interjected. "I'm doing the best with what I can".

"You're best is here. Working with POTUS to make real change".

"Noah, I don't know what else to say. I have to go and I am going".

I got out of bed and pulled Haley into my arms wrapping her in a hug. I held her head close to my chest not knowing what else to do. I couldn't tell her not to go...but maybe I could go with her,"You say you have 5 days before you have to meet Nikolai. Give me two?"

"Noah, that's cutting it close---"

"Two days and maybe I can get a transfer to help with whatever peacekeeping mission POTUS set up?" At least that way I could be a few feet from Haley instead of miles away. "Two days love?"

Please give me that.

"A day and a half. If you don't get approved I still have to walk to meet Nikolai".

"And if I get approved I'll make sure you have a car".

"Okay", she said looking up to me. I was going to have to call in every favor I had accumulated over the years. But Haley was worth it. She may not see any danger in her going home. But all I saw was problems just waiting the second she crossed into Evian. And as God as my witness I wasn't going to let anything take her from me.