Can We Talk?

Chapter 39

Noah

I got to sleep maybe a total of 4 hours before it was time to truly start my shift. Between having to come to terms with Caroline and actually doing my job I was being run into the ground. Anthony had the brilliant idea of working with Mey to get the locals to trust us more. It's too bad Anthony was a fucking idiot and didn't know how most humans specially people in this town lived. No one wants a  goodie basket with stuff they don't want or need. These people want food and clothes.

And us to leave.

Mey had the impossible task of trying to hand out five baskets she had  Eric and I carrying door-to-door to the locals. Every door was the same, someone would pierce out from behind their wooden door see a human woman with a bright smile and chipper voice and as soon as she said,'Hi my name is Mey I'm with the Therap--' The door would slam and the candle lights would go off.

Sometimes she got called a witch.

Sometimes worse.

But I had to give it to Mey at least she was trying.

After the third door to the face we were more than a little discouraged. I rather be working on laying fucking bricks than doing this.

"I don't even know what else to say", Mey said climbing down from the stairs with her basket in hand.

"As much good as you want to do you can't make anyone do anything", Eric said trying to console her. Mey walked into Eric's arms. He dropped his baskets and rubbed her back as she rested her face in his shoulder.

"I just want to help one person. Is that too much?"

"Be patient with yourself. At least you're trying", I said.

"Yeah", she exhailed hard.

"You can always go to Haley's parents house", I suggested.

"That could be one", Eric agreed.

"One what?" My heart came alive at the sound of Haley's voice. I turned around wanting to scoop her up in my arms and carry her away from everything that happened to her today. If I hadn't had seen what happened at the river I wouldn't have known anything was wrong.

She was carrying a small sleeping boy no older than six or five with a head full of blonde curly hair in brown overalls and a blue jean thick jacket.

"You want a basket?" Mey pouted still in Eric's arms.

"Depends, what's in it", She said resituating the boy and the gun on her back.

"PAM, flashlight, candle, soaps, and towels".

"What kind of gift basket doesn't have food or water?"

"One made by vampires who don't need it", Eric stated.

"Exactly", Haley said walking through our little group,"let me get this little one back home and I can take one of your baskets to my mom?"

"Great will she take a hundred?"

"Probably, she'll find something to do with it", Haley bent down and took one of our baskets,"Let me try".

"If you get the next house to take it I'll go drown myself in the river", Mey said grimly.

"You just got to know how to talk to us. Mey, You're a stranger We can't trust you. And you pick the dead of night of all times to go door-to-door. You know most people in town go to bed at sunset. Because most people get up at sunrise. Unless there's like something special going on".